MIG looking like TIG welding

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus

MIG looking like TIG welding

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I was trying to get this look while staying strong and it wasn't working for me mostly since I wasn't or was miss-understanding the technique. I did a search under "stitch welding" and ran into this and a couple other videos; https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=st ... &FORM=VIRE

I usually, but not always', do the circle thing when welding but the lower settings (it talks about them in the video) is probably where I was missing. The statement on welding to the standards vs. this kind of welding was interesting as I dealt only with standard's rules.

Lee
Dale M.

Re: MIG looking like TIG welding

Post by Dale M. »

"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

It's not too hard, just get the right settings for the thickness material you're welding and do slow circles instead of c's.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Oooooo Ahhhhh! Going to have to get into that skill as soon as I can.

Lee
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Much easier to practice on thicker materials, I regularly weld with 1/4" plate at work and it's more forgiving than thin body sheet
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

66brm wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:49 am Much easier to practice on thicker materials, I regularly weld with 1/4" plate at work and it's more forgiving than thin body sheet
Absolutely... That's my weakness in welding... I really need to work on my thin sheet skills.

I prefer welding with Gas normally, but TIG is where it's at for thin stuff in many cases.

I used to work with some Aerospace welders who made me sick... welding the thin edge of a razor blade... showing' off all the time. One of them literally welded .008" shim stock together once to make us all feel unworthy... They had nice rigs to work with too, so there is that... endless supplies of company gas to weld with (Whatever gas you can think of the shop had it... in giant pressure vessels piped in from a remote tank room...there were manifolds hanging all over the place).

My hat's off to folks who can weld well at all. I can get it done but wouldn't spend much time oohing and aahing over the stuff I do...
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Many years ago I tried to get a job in on the hydrofoil program where I worked. When looking into it they were talking about some of the requirements the welders they needed had to have; e.g., what kind of license they needed to pass (yearly as I remember) and what Scottrods mentioned is just a smidgeon of what they had to do to get that license. Overhead welding was one of the many things that they had to be certified yearly at, the rest I don't remember.

I remember looking at the fed and company specs and details within them that I would have to know and it was a lot. My hat goes off to those who can weld and do other highly detailed working with specialized materials like that.

Lee
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Overhead sucks. A shower of slag and sparks raining down trying to get in your clothes (and usually do). I do the same MIG technique for overhead that I do for horizontal to keep the puddle where I need it, "c"s that I draw towards me.