keep breaking 3.88 ring and pinions?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Pablo2

Re: keep breaking 3.88 ring and pinions?

Post by Pablo2 »

John ... you need to use at least a couple OD-ground 36hp flywheel shims (like in Dangerous Dave's photos) .. especially because you're using an OE (stock) alloy housing. The OE alloy housings tend to wear a bit from the rotating friction, while our HD aluminum housings don't really wear at all. Using 2 additional shims beneath the thrust washer should add some longevity to your OE housing. Yes, .003" clearance is about right. (The shims rarely receive thrust in a street car, but they can get worked pretty hard in a drag car.)
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
johnwalklett

Post by johnwalklett »

ahh okay. I've had the diff thrust washer made a tight press fit into the intermediate housing, Not had chance to have a trial build yet. hopefully I have had the intermiadiate housing machined deep enough for some flywheel shims
johnwalklett

Post by johnwalklett »

just an update, couldn;t believe my luck I needed 3 flywheel shims to get the 3thou clearance between the thrust washers with out any additional machining. The gearbox is in and running okay. Spec is.. gusseded case, weddle hybrid mainshaft with 3.78, 2.25 1st and 2nd, weddle 002 1.50 3rd and 1.04 4th, german 3.88 ring and pinion and a quaife. Will be running at Santa pod in two weeks. will see how high I can get the front wheels befoe it breaks :D
johnwalklett

Post by johnwalklett »

Seeing as I have good success with this 4th gear thrust conversion mod and ran an 11.6 in a full weight street car.. Im thinking of giving it a go on a berg 5 speed has anyone else tried this?
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

I would only use an aluminum intermediate housing for that project (not mag alloy)
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

johnwalklett wrote:Seeing as I have good success with this 4th gear thrust conversion mod and ran an 11.6 in a full weight street car.. Im thinking of giving it a go on a berg 5 speed has anyone else tried this?
Noting wrong with using a B5 drag racing. Gets really expensive when you start to break things, though.
marksbug

Post by marksbug »

I think for the mag carriers you should probably use a thrust shim that has ears and does not rotate,probably good on all housings. (many automatic trans have these)( some have internal ears some extrenal ears,some straight some bent,go to a auto trans shop&see what you can come up with. I will be incorporating a torrington needle bearing for this app in my street car,along with longer pinion bearing&longer main shaft bearing (caged needle bearings) for better support (ina 3020 or ina 3018 on pinion,4&2mm longer bearings,still shorter than the race on pinion they run on) (and rna 6903 for rear end of main shaft)witch will also require a holder to be made&bolted to the case for the end that sticks out a little&keeps it from possiably going forward,although there tight in the case and non thrusted needles,but Ill do it any way.with a billet aluminum flange,with oil resivor to catch oil&funnel it to the bearing.
Im wondering about the clearance,how much more will the case and gear carrier/housing grow than the pinion affecting the clearance???