My Oddball LSD setup, oil ?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
riseabove

My Oddball LSD setup, oil ?

Post by riseabove »

Just wanted some opinions on what oil to run in my freshly built transaxle with finnish racing gears and a one off special BMW e30 m3 Limited slip differential . Custom-made sidecovers and much more. not the best looking transaxle around but should be able to cope with all the abuse i plan to put it through

Pablo2

Re: My Oddball LSD setup, oil ?

Post by Pablo2 »

Can you buy Castrol LSX90 locally?

Adapting a 10-bolt BMW LSD would have been a real chore .. did you take any photos during the process?

aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
juki48

Post by juki48 »

very cool, please share what you can about the install.
Riley

74 Ghia 2276 Turbo MSII Extra
67 Beetle in restoration
Manx Style buggy 1600 stock
riseabove

Post by riseabove »

Ah. This setup was built by a Finnish man living in sweden about 10 years ago. The only modifications that i know of to the differential is changing of boltpatterns for ring-gear and some minor clearancing, the rest is in the custom side-plates.

I do not have any pictures of it going together as i let my gearbox-guru that was part of the development of this kit (5 known in existence) was the one who put it together.

The differential itself is out of a 168mm unit as far as i know. the rest is custom or modified ....

Is lsx90 the only suggestion so far ? Locally i have been recommended valvoline hypoid oil from a friend running a 091 also with finnish rally gears but with a quaife diff instead.