six rib 091 bellhousing replacement questions....

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Rgrove03

six rib 091 bellhousing replacement questions....

Post by Rgrove03 »

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Pre-Runner Baja that needs work. It has a 091 bus trans in it. Needless to say it has a cracked bellhousing. I have purchased a used one and a new gasket is on the way. While I'm there I would like to change the axel fluid. What do I need to know? What are the torque specs. when putting the new housing on? Why type of fluid should I run off road? Is there anything else I should check or replace while I'm here? Can I tell if the trans has any work done inside from removing the bell housing... Superdiff etc?. Help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.... Rick
Steve Arndt

Re: six rib 091 bellhousing replacement questions....

Post by Steve Arndt »

You can look at the dif when you have it apart and count the spider gears. 2 is standard. 4 is out of the later Vanagon box. The bolts holding the bell housing are M8x1.25 and they torque to the standard 14 ft/lbs or so as I recall. Inspect the ring and pinion for damage when you are in there.

I use Amsoil 75/90 full synthetic in my 091s. It really helps quiet them down and improves cold shifting performance.
Rgrove03

Post by Rgrove03 »

Thank! Steve!
Steve Arndt wrote:You can look at the dif when you have it apart and count the spider gears. 2 is standard. 4 is out of the later Vanagon box. The bolts holding the bell housing are M8x1.25 and they torque to the standard 14 ft/lbs or so as I recall. Inspect the ring and pinion for damage when you are in there.

I use Amsoil 75/90 full synthetic in my 091s. It really helps quiet them down and improves cold shifting performance.
:D
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

Also look at the pinion bearing nut and make sure it is still locked into the bearing!!!!! If it has a chromoly nut there will be no place to lock it, so then it should be about even with the end of the bearing.