091 Transaxle ID Help Needed

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Lawdog734

091 Transaxle ID Help Needed

Post by Lawdog734 »

I've searched through the various threads and posts trying to find out what I have and for the life of me, I can't figure out what I have. I suppose that maybe my Google-Fu is weak at the moment.

I've got a type 091 6-091 6-rib transaxle in the Chenowth Desert Patrol Vehicle that I'm restoring. It has what appears to be a locking differential, but I'm not familiar with this setup as it doesn't have the vacuum type setups I've seen elsewhere.

This has a push/pull cable that attaches to a plunger mechanism fitted to the transaxle.

Can anybody ID this setup and possibly where to find replacement parts such as the cable pull lever, etc.

Pablo2

Re: 091 Transaxle ID Help Needed

Post by Pablo2 »

This is an 094 Syncro case with Syncro locker installed, making a locking 091/1 transaxle. While the Syncro utilizes vacuum to activate the locker, the cable system shown is actually more reliable. The bonus of using this type of transaxle off-road is that reverse is far stronger than the earlier Type IIs.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Lawdog734

Post by Lawdog734 »

Pablo-Thank You! Any idea where I can find the appropriate parts to make it functional again? The cable seems easy enough to get, but I broke the tit off the piece that goes in the part that physically moves into the transaxle, so I'll need to replace it.

I didn't get a picture of it, but it's the piece that the cable gets inserted and clamped into.
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

Have you tried Weddle? They might have some parts..
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

The samba vanagon forum has info about replacement locker parts and also posts about how to free them up when frozen. They often bind from not being used enough.
modernbeat

Post by modernbeat »

Here's one topic with links to others on the cable conversion for the Syncro LSD.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552389
Jason McDaniel