Weddle's new #5162 Type 1 IRS Super Diff with 091 Internals

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
gkeeton

Weddle's new #5162 Type 1 IRS Super Diff with 091 Internals

Post by gkeeton »

Yes, you read that right, a Type 1 IRS Super Diff that uses 091 Type 2 Internals. This is the mother of all Super Diffs with Chromoly Billet Diff Section/Cover Plate, and 091 Carrier Bearings. The Diff is designed to use all STOCK unmodified 091 Side Gears/Thrust Washers, and 091 Spider Gears/Concave Washers. The kit comes with two HD Sidecovers for use with the larger bearings, and larger shims for ring gear adjustment. It doesn't include any of the 091 components, but last time I checked, 091 Diff Internals were still available new, and weren't too expensive. The kit lists on Weddles site for $980. Considering you would have $180 in a cast 10 tooth Weddle Type 1 Super Diff, $50/$60 for a good quality set of Type 1 Carrier Bearings, $150 for two HD Side Covers, and $300 for a set of Super Splines, $980 isn't too bad. The only drawback I see would be that you couldn't use the diff in a Single Sidecover Case, but more than likely it would be used in a Rhino Case with a through-bolt anyways.
Piledriver

Re: Weddle's new #5162 Type 1 IRS Super Diff with 091 Intern

Post by Piledriver »

For that price a Peloquin etc start to look very reasonable.

How do the Torsen style diffs hold up off road?

I know they exist for T1s and 002/091s.

OTOH doesn't simply stuffing an 091 in an off road vehicle or drag car make far more sense?

The T1 is still handicapped by the small ring gear, the only things it has going for it are (relatively) cheap parts and the shift rail setup.

How do the $$$ work out between T1 based and 002 or 091 based setups for drag use, hot street use and off road use?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
gkeeton

Post by gkeeton »

Quaife has a Type 1 Diff listing for $1470, but Peloquin does not have a listing on their site. I personally have never built a Type 1, or Type 2 trans to the ragged edge of performance, but reading post after post in forums about those that are unwilling to take the plunge on a Type 2 with the converted gear carrier, I would assume the cost difference is still $1000+. Swing Axle Setups comparing price from Type 1 to 2 is going to have the most price differential, but without the axles, the IRS Setups might not be too far apart. The initial overal cost may be greater, but service intervals of a Type 2 are going to be less compared to the Type 1 due to the R&P. It's going to come down to intended use. I personally would use one of Weddles Diffs in a Performance Street Application. I have a supply of Type 1 cores, and like the fact that the engine placement would be in the stock location, and not offset like you would have with a Type 2. Apparently there was a need in the market for Weddle to come up with it, and when I talked with them yesterday to gather info, they had already sold out of the first run.

I forgot to post Weddle's link above.
http://www.weddleindustries.com/product ... r-diff-kit
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

This is certainly a nice piece, and fits the bill for a specific use. A good swingaxle super diff would have interested me more, though. The IRS super diffs haven't had the same oiling issues as the swingaxle version.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

My experience has been that a GOOD type 1sd (if you can still find one), is stronger then the r&p as well as first gear, case, etc. I really do not see a reason for the upgrade unless a t1 sd cannot be had.