5mm 1-2 sliders

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Bruce2

5mm 1-2 sliders

Post by Bruce2 »

I thought there was only one 5mm slider, but at a swap meet recently, I found a seller with some Bus trans parts. The 5mm sliders he was selling have a single indicator line cut through the tops of the reverse teeth as a variation indicator. What are these sliders for?
The reverse tooth count is the same.
The fork groove is about .2mm narrower.
The big difference is the overall width. A Type 1 slider is 25mm wide while the ones with the indicator line are 24mm. Since there's no stock 1-2 shift rod with detents spaced further apart, this can't be used in a Type 1 as far as I know.
If you had an early Berg 5 where Gene spaced the detents wider than stock, this slider might work.

Comments?
5mm sliders.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pablo2

Re: 5mm 1-2 sliders

Post by Pablo2 »

I think that's the same slider type that I had this 5mm fork made for: http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1023716.jpg The other difference (from later 5mm sliders) was no undercut on 2nd gear drive flank, which made it compatible for my pro-shift 2nd. If I recall correctly, this earliest of 5mm sliders MAY have been used only in one specific year Type III transaxle.

I never worried too much about the detent spacing of the individual pieces prior to trial assembly. After shaving the slider for increased engagement into 1st & 2nd etc, most of the Type I's I built required some outward relocation of the 1st/2nd detent(s), anyhow. (I had a simple & quick method for that in my Bridgeport, using a thin stone with the same radius as a detent ball.)
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

091 bus sliders.
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

The last 1st/2nd bug rails had a little more detent spacing.
I have been told there is enough fork clearance, to use these in a bug trans,
but have only tried them with aftermarket gears
that required a narrowed 113/002 sleeve, as Paul suggests above.
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

dangerous wrote:091 bus sliders.
Yes, that is what they look like.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Thanks Guys. Mystery solved!
I've never been inside a Bus 'box, so it's expected I wouldn't know.

About 8 years ago, someone discovered what was thought to be a mistake in the 1-2 shift rod of the Berg 5. The detents were spaced too far apart.
In this pic I aligned the left detent so you could see the accumulated error in the right one. Old is the bottom, new is the top.
Recently, I found a very old article on the Berg 5, and in there Gene instructs the kit buyers to narrow the 1-2 slider by half a mm on each side. This explains why he put the detents where he did.
It looks like these 091 sliders would be perfect for use with the wide spaced detents in a Berg 5.

I did some more measuring on these two sliders. The 091 slider has longer engagement splines/teeth by about 1mm. It looks like using this slider will give you 1mm more engagement in each gear than the normal Type 1 slider.

Paul, this 091 slider is back-cut on all 4 sides.

Dave, I've always wondered why the fork clearance was higher with the 5mm parts.
4mm : .1 - .3mm
5mm : .5 - .85mm
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

Anyhow, there is one oddball Type I slider with 5mm groove, and no undercut on 2nd gear side. I believe it was the first 5mm slider, and found only in one of the Type III models (squareback or fastback).
Last edited by Pablo2 on Tue May 19, 2015 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Paul, the current trans I am building is a DC code SSC Type 3 trans. It had the slider with 4 back cuts, although it had been rebult before. I checked my inventory of sliders and I found one that was missing the back cut on 2nd.

So I guess that makes 3 different 5mm 1-2 sliders. Are there any more?
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

I recently opened a few 091 boxes with one line 40 tooth sliders in them. I asked a couple sources about this and found out they were an aftermarket item for a little bit. They would cut .020" off each side for use with 091 boxes, so that's why I was seeing them there.

Incidentally I know Weddle is working on aftermarket 091 1-2 sliders right now, they got in the first batch and are testing them out now. It will be interesting to see how these do on the market.