non-oring side cover sealing

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
PEPPE

non-oring side cover sealing

Post by PEPPE »

what is the best method for sealing the old model sidecovers? the paper gasket sometime drip little quantity of oil. Maybe that silicone and no gasket is better? may be useful modifying the sidecovers with a little oring like later ones?
Bruce2

Re: non-oring side cover sealing

Post by Bruce2 »

I've had lots of early side covers upgraded with the groove for the o-ring. It's only useful when you want to install them on a late case. The bore for the side cover isn't deep enough on early cases.
PEPPE

Post by PEPPE »

sometimes i shortened late ones to be used on early case. it is the same dimension ad aftermarket aluminium ones. so, it looks a good thing cutting the groove on early ones...
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've had good luck with paper gaskets dressed with Curil K2. Hylomar's supposed to be even better, I've been told. If you use RTV (or Hylomar) without gaskets you'll need to reset the bearing preload, of course.
PEPPE

Post by PEPPE »

i have used some green arexons sealant and worked decently. hylomar is silicone based? maybe that a flexible seal will keep the oil better, especially on a mechanically stressed part. i am not very convinced that the paper gaskets now sold are good to seal. for example i had better results using sealant on dynamo bases without paper gaskets.
Marc

Post by Marc »

If you're just looking for a way to stop the dripping from the sideplates of an installed trans, consider the ol' dental-floss trick (good for nosecone-gaskets, too). Loosen the cover and knock it off just a little, crossing your fingers that the gasket stays intact, then wrap a single pass of waxed dental floss around the outside of the studs (overlapping at the top) and torque it back down. Of course this reduces the bearing preload a little bit, but not enough to be of concern IMO unless it was loose to begin with. If the gasket does come apart, remove all of the broken bits (the most aggravating part of the job) and use the floss anyway - it'll still be reasonably close. If it works, you've saved hours of time for just a few minutes spent trying.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Good tip, Marc. It would work for later O-Ring side covers too.
PEPPE

Post by PEPPE »

i will try thanks marc