Flipped ring gear modifications

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Chipbuster

Flipped ring gear modifications

Post by Chipbuster »

Hello everyone!
New to the forum, but have been reading as a guest for some time.
Good stuff here!
I am currently in the process of getting my drag car back together after several years of downtime.
I have a rear engine dragster, with a live axle set up that basically limits me to a potato chip type 1 gearbox .
My base set up is a rhino housing , 388g R&P, FTC main shaft 1rst/2nd gears, Gem 3rd/4th,
Berg 4 bolt retainer, hand packed 1rst-4th , Liberty pro ringed all the way, with crown steel side covers on both sides .
I intend to add the Pablo method for pinion retention , but my reading has lead to some questions .
With th Pablo method.. What keeps the flywheel shims used in radial alignment with the thrust surfaces on the 4th gear, and modified intermediate Housing?
I haven't done the machine work because I can't get my head around that part of it yet. ( I know it's a simple answer) also with the ring gear flipped, what else can be done to hold the side plates better than the existing studs? Apparently, the extra through bolt used in a normal configuration doesn't do much for a flipped ring gear set up?
Any experienced advice ?
Pablo2

Re: Flipped ring gear modifications

Post by Pablo2 »

Hi Chip

The OD-ground 36hp flywheel shims are retained within the machined area of the intermediate housing. They actually sit below the thicker modified thrust washer, which is also retained in that .035" (approx) deep pocket.

For flipped ring gears, I believe there are a couple side cover studs that can be replaced with 8mm head stud through-bolts. This is actually easier machining than the external 10mm through-bolt.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Chipbuster

Post by Chipbuster »

Thanks Pablo !
For some reason I was stuck thinking the shims actuall went between the thrust washers.
As in a flywheel situation. ( stuck thinking inside the box again ! )
As far as the through bolts on the side cover, I am assuming they need to be the ones closest to the pinion area of the side cover bolt circle. ( on the gear housing side, rather than the bell housing side)
Since in this application , the trans housing actually supports the rear of the car, would you still be inclined to drill through to install the through bolts ?
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

It's difficult to point out which ones to replace without good photos. Replacing a couple studs with through-bolts doesn't really weaken the housing. You're just enlarging existing holes a tad. The Rhino main housing (with mondo upper rib) is perfect for your purpose.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Chipbuster

Post by Chipbuster »

Ok , thanks!
I will get a good side view picture of my housing posted next week when I get back to the shop.

I know I'm speaking for the masses that read the information.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!
Spoonboy84

Post by Spoonboy84 »

We have a drop in Timken bearing set up for the type1 trans if using an early gear carrier and splined 22mm pinion.

https://www.facebook.com/RKMachineShop/

[email protected]