Trans-a-Jig spacer thickness?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Marc

Trans-a-Jig spacer thickness?

Post by Marc »

Trans-a-Jig.jpg
It's been so long since I last used my trans jig that I've misplaced some parts. Doing an early `72 Type I trans so I don't need any pinion bearing spacers, but I can't find the spacers that go on the riser posts. It looks to me like they should be 8mm thick, can anyone confirm that please?
It's a black Delrin plastic one; IIRC I bought it from Long Enterprises (no longer in business or I'd call them) I believe it's the Bugpack 4065-20...don't recall if there's anything important in the instructions (they're missing too).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Casting Timmy

Re: Trans-a-Jig spacer thickness?

Post by Casting Timmy »

I thought the stand offs were 106mm and 116mm, i have an old jig that actually has 68 stamped on it as well. My big jig I use for the big pinion nuts as I have no adaptors.
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

Might place a straight edge across the top and measure down to double check, I wonder if Rick is still checking emails. Might shot him one as I bet he would answer you.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Once again Murphy's law prevails - all I had to do was work out the thickness of the washers needed to get the posts the right length, and the missing parts & directions showed up :D

The plastic spacers plug into the counterbored end of the posts, making their total length 106.6mm. If those are lost, a 7.6mm (.299") stack of flatwashers will yield the same results.

I scanned in the instructions, the files are too large to attach here but you can download/print them from this album at PhotoBucket:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MarcVel ... rans-a-Jig