liberty gears

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
PEPPE

liberty gears

Post by PEPPE »

hallo, i am repairing an old trans from the 80s, built in the usa and still equipping a drag car imported in europe. it has liberty modification on 2-3-4, but all the parts are really worn. also the hubs are damaged ad seriously worn. about the sliders i have some nos with no backcuts and believe that them are more suitable than new ones but i have to cut some tooths. what is the best method? what kind of mill cuts them? maybe diamond? the rings for gears appear to be still for sale, maybe that there are more modern ones? thanks
Pablo2

Re: liberty gears

Post by Pablo2 »

The hubs usually sell for about $30. These have been modified for the later locking ring and drilled for a bit more oil.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1191619.jpg

The engagement teeth of the operating sleeve can be removed individually with a die grinder.

I believe ERCO has pro rings with a better heat treatment than the induction hardened originals ..
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
PEPPE

Post by PEPPE »

Thanks for the reply. What about the heat treating of the hubs?
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

Can you be more specific? The hubs are early VW.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
PEPPE

Post by PEPPE »

on Berg site they state that their hubs are heat treated and hardchromed, because early hubs are lower quality than later ones. is it better to use these? You recommended the liberty rings done with better steel, but i saw considerable wear also on hubs, and berg site description on what they sell looks reasonable
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

The early hubs are definitely softer than the later ones. But that's not necessarily a bad thing for a drag trans. Personally, I just replace the hub at the same time I clean up the engagement teeth (maintenance) on both op sleeve and pro ring.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
PEPPE

Post by PEPPE »

Thanks for the info, i sent You a PM.