Identifying Transaxel Type and Year

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
VW Bug Buggy

Identifying Transaxel Type and Year

Post by VW Bug Buggy »

Hi All
I'm new to the forum - I have a VW Transaxel Case (no axels) serial Code: AH 4797345
I am trying to identify the year and type (Swing or IRS)
Can someone help with this?

Thanks
Marc

Re: Identifying Transaxel Type and Year

Post by Marc »

"AH" denotes an IRS trans with a 4.125 R&P (and either a .89 or .88 4th) ...and doesn't tell us much else.

If it has 2 drain plugs it's a `69 (early release bearing, held to the 16mm dia cross-shaft by U-clips)

One drainplug, early release bearing, 16mm shaft: `70 ...change from coarse-tooth 3rd & 4th (.89 4th) to fine-tooth 3rd & 4th (.88 4th) in March 1970

One drainplug, late release bearing w/guide tube with 16mm dia cross-shaft, : `71 or early `72

One drainplug, late release bearing w/guide tube with 20mm dia cross-shaft: late `72

Dual-sideplate IRS transaxles like the AH can be converted to swingaxle (and vice-versa) by changing the differential carrier and sideplates. IRS has splined stubs protruding from the sideplates which accept flanges for the CV joints to bolt to; swingaxle sideplates have an opening where the axle shaft goes in, surrounded by six 8mm studs where the axle tube attaches.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Serial numbers can really only tell what it might have been, look (pictures), measure, and count are far more useful today.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
VW Bug Buggy

Post by VW Bug Buggy »

Great - thank you Marc for the feedback really appreciate your input - I will confirm and start the rebuild