100mm axle flange to T1 IRS options

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
markvwguy

100mm axle flange to T1 IRS options

Post by markvwguy »

Other than Thing , Empi and Chirco/ aftermarket axle cups. Are there any other options which work for 100mm IRS rear axle conversion? Maybe other VW or Porsche? I don't read much motioned about the 100mm Transaxle flanges in posts.

If I have to buy after market axle cups are they OEM fit and finish. Or are they not quite as good as OEM ?

I will be using :
16 1/4" axle shafts Porsche 944 100mm CVs
Axle stubs Porsche 944 100mm

1969 T1 Vert. lowered dual spring plates & 4 wheel disc brakes.

Thanks,
Mark
H2OSB

Re: 100mm axle flange to T1 IRS options

Post by H2OSB »

I don't have an answer, so I doubt you'll find my response helpful, but I've been curious about using water-cooled vw drive flanges. My '86 GTI had 100mm drive flanges. They APPEAR similar the IRS drive flanges. I,too, will need 100mm flanges as I'm using 944 rear brakes, including the stub axles.

H2OSB
Marc

Post by Marc »

I don't trust the Taiwanese stub axles, for those I'd rather have the original Thing or 924/944 part. But for the 100mm flanges for a Type I trans (like Things use) I think the EMPI 16-2299 should be OK, at $70-$85/pr.

I've also seen some flanges made up by cutting off the outer ring of a Bug flange and welding on one from a Bus flange; again, may not be as good as OEM Thing but should do the job.

Be aware that there are some aftermarket flanges that use ⅜-24 bolts instead of m8x1.25, for which the holes in the CVs need to be enlarged.

Pretty sure that the waterpumper flanges won't fit the splines on Type I sidegears, but will need to research that. Even if they did there'd probably still be issues with their "height" and with finding a seal that'd work. The Type I seals have a 36mm I.D. while the late 020 waterpumper trans is 50mm - they moved the sealing area out on the late 90mm and 100mm flanges, here's the 020 flanges: http://www.brokevw.com/022112%20004s.jpg
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Marc, I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think I remember being surprised to discover VW didn't change the spline count on Type 1 vs 020 output flanges. I'll have to hunt for the info. I ran across it many moons ago when researching installing a Subi mill in a Beetle. It was on a page by a group of offroad guys. I remember thinking it would be brilliant to be able to use the 100mm flanges from a GTI gearbox because they start out with 110 to 115hp and VW over engineers everything. I'll try to find the info and post a link here.

H2OSB
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

BTW, came across these while searching. https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000186/1001853

I'd trust Weddle parts, and a pair for less than $72

Nope, nope, not sure what I'm remembering, but T1 has 33 splines and waterpumper boxes have either 28 or 24 splines.

Oh well. At least I know Weddle has some strong T1 to 100mm CV output flanges available.

H2OSB
markvwguy

Post by markvwguy »

Think I will order up a pair of Weddle axle flanges. I would rather not buy Empi. I've had quality issues with some products over the years with Empi.

Thank you for the input. Definitely helped with my choice to go with Weddle.

Mark