transaxle parts swap

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
landrocket

transaxle parts swap

Post by landrocket »

Long story short, I have a "67 bug and the trans is shot. I was at a garage sale and the guy had a swing axle trans, I made an offer on it and he accepted. I get it home and noticed it is a 6 volt, with the bushing for the starter I believe I can just knock that out for my 12 v starter. But, it has the late style sleeve and throw out bearing. My question is, can I just swap over my early style parts, ie: no sleeve on the throw out bearing and ring around the clutch? Or am I screwed? Thanks in advance! Ron p.s. does my clutch shaft have to be for the early style?
landrocket

Re: transaxle parts swap

Post by landrocket »

And now I just noticed the one I bought has the clutch fork with two indentations and my original has only one? Hope this helps, thanks.
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

Three nuts on sleeve
I'd double nut the studs and pull htem out. Then you have to change back to the early cross shaft to run the early throw out bearing and early style clutch.

Sleeve has no nuts
This is a conversion piece and the thin seals can sometimes leak easier than the factory style seals. I would pull the conversion and then put in the correct seal. Then switch to the early cross shaft and throw out bearing.

You already have a diagram pressure plate
Pull the center ring off and go with the later stuff.

Early style cross shaft hastwo half circles.....late has two humps that face out.

Hope this helps
landrocket

Post by landrocket »

Thanks for the fast reply, I love S.T.F.!!!
landrocket

Post by landrocket »

I have done alot of engines etc. but never the transaxle, this is totally unknown to me. thanks!
Marc

Post by Marc »

landrocket wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 3:41 pm ...noticed it is a 6 volt, with the bushing for the starter I believe I can just knock that out for my 12 v starter.
Both 6V and 12V starters require bushings (other than the Automatic/Auto Stick starter, SR17 which is self-supporting). Both the O.D. and the I.D. of the bushing is smaller for the 12V than for the 6V.

There's a thick-walled adapter bushing for running a 12V starter in a 6V trans.

To run a 6V starter in a 12V trans (without turning down the pinion shaft) requires a thin-walled steel sleeve - a less-than-satisfactory solution IMO but not one you'll need to worry about.

If it has the bolt-on TOB guide tube the trans is of later vintage (either an import from Canada, etc. where swingaxles were available after 1968, or an IRS trans that was converted to swingaxle). The trans case casting first got the three bosses surrounding the input shaft seal in 1970 but they weren't drilled/tapped for the m7x1.0 studs (bolts in later years) used to mount the guide tube until 1971. The stamped-in ID on the flat pad towards the front of the case should allow accurately dating it.

Some early-style diaphragm clutch covers are not intended to have their thrust rings removed and run in a late application - the fingers of the diaphragm are too long, so the center opening won't fit over the guide tube. If yours is from Kennedy it'll fit but otherwise be sure to check that.