Synchro Setting and Breaking In

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Casting Timmy

Synchro Setting and Breaking In

Post by Casting Timmy »

Sometimes I use a scotch brite pad to freshen up the synchro cone surface on the gear to make sure the syncrho will grip good.

The transaxles break in good and shift fine down the road, do you guys ever prep the syncrho cone surface of the gears or have any break in tips or suggestions during the build to get super easy shifting right off the bat?

Currently I am redoing a 5 rib that had light water damage inside, more on the steel than the cases. I assume it was empty of fluid and got a lot of condensation inside, so I have been lightly freshening up the surfaces to get rid of water stain synchro marks on the cones. I know this box is for the dunes only and didn't know what the quickest break in method or tricks were for getting the syncrhos burnished back in.

Thanks
Tim
Bruce2

Re: Synchro Setting and Breaking In

Post by Bruce2 »

I was looking through a Toyota manual last week and saw an interesting suggestion for the synchros. They said to put a bit of fine lapping compound on the cone and work the synchro around a bit. Wash well afterwards.
In the past I only looked at the height of the synchro on the cone. Now I test the synchro's grip on the cone when you try to turn it while pressing it down. You'd be surprised at the difference in grip some synchros have.
Casting Timmy

Re: Synchro Setting and Breaking In

Post by Casting Timmy »

I've heard of that once before, but it was with a road racing team that wore out the synchro's so they would only last a race or two.

I do find that I need to play with the 091 synchro's more than the earlier synchros. Although I also end up using scotch brite pad on boxes that have sat a long time and synchro's glue themselves to the cone, which is more 091's than earlier.

Do you ever feel like people are too used to worn out transaxles and blame you for making it shift right again? I feel like some people get syncrhos that work and really wanted to have their worn out dead synchros back in the box.