type 4 with swing axle

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
delsol

type 4 with swing axle

Post by delsol »

hi -- just getting my manx style buggy together. Got the type 1 running and realized the tranny must have come from a mid engine as it has 4 reverse gears...

Figured I'd install my Raby type 4 and new tranny that have been on the shelf. Pulled type 1 stuff and proceeded to transfer axles and tubes -- realized I need more gaskets to properly shim tubes. I also noticed that I will need to get a different TOB as the new tranny has the cover over the input shaft and a different throw arm from the old tranny. What throw out bearing am I looking for? 72' and up or is it type 4 related?

I will need to order both the gaskets and release bearing -- where is a good place that has the different thickness gaskets?

Here is a pic of old bearing against new tranny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chip Birks

Re: type 4 with swing axle

Post by Chip Birks »

Make sure you also remove the ring on the pressure plate that interfaces with the throwout bearing. The collar T/O bearing interfaces directly with the fingers of the pressure plate.
delsol

Post by delsol »

The ring is still on the pressure plate as it came from Jake... would he not of removed it if it is required?
delsol

Post by delsol »

Sorry -- there is no ring on the pressure plate - I was going from yesterdays memory....

should be all good now - I just ordered a release bearing and extra gaskets for tubes...

Thanks,

Dave
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

What do you do about the input shaft difference on type 1 using a t4 motor? Does the bell housing have to be clearances any? I don’t know type 4, but I thought some had a bigger flywheel.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

The conversion flywheel holds the needle bearing at the correct depth for a type-1 trans (on a type-4/type-4 the crankshaft holds that bearing at the correct spot)
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

228mm flywheels are externally the same size, same ring gear etc, but the pressure plate is much larger, so a t1 trans requires a lot of clearancing to get a 228 to fit. A 210 or 215 T4 setup fit a t1 trans with no issues other than needing the input shaft bearing.

A 215mm 914 flywheel has a deeper ring gear, but it can be turned back to std depth.
It already has the pilot bearing setup like a T1. The pressure plates cost more, but it is a forged steel flywheel.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.