Maximum 3rd/4th gear endplay on mainshaft?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
gkeeton

Maximum 3rd/4th gear endplay on mainshaft?

Post by gkeeton »

To make a long story short...

I did the 091 circle clip trick with a stock splined 002 hub to end up with “ideal” .011 3rd endplay, and .010 4th endplay using factory VW gears. A last minute decision changed the 3rd to a Weddle 1.35 with the splined floating 002 syncro hub. Mocked up the mainshaft to still have the .010 on 4th, but now my 3rd has .023 endplay.... :( The factory gears use the internal shoulder as the thrust surface, while the Weddle gear uses the syncro cone.

I talked with Weddle, and they say this is normal for the floating hub gears, and that they have run up to .030 endplay without issue.... :shock:

So what’s the most endplay anyone has used? I recently took apart a bakers dozen 3.78 mainshafted trans, and for reference, the most I ever found after the hub had gotten crammed into the 4th gear side circle clip was .015. So do I run it per Weddle’s recommendation with the .023? After an email to STF member Bruce2, he suggested moving the hub, shortening the 4th gear side mainshaft bearing seating surface, and adding a thicker circle clip at the end. Also, possibly using some shim stock as a spacer, and tig welding the halves together to make your own endplay.
Bruce2

Re: Maximum 3rd/4th gear endplay on mainshaft?

Post by Bruce2 »

Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

3rd during power will want to go towards 4th, I'd rather have it there than 4th gear. I would think it would be fine to go as is.
gkeeton

Post by gkeeton »

Casting Timmy wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:39 pm 3rd during power will want to go towards 4th, I'd rather have it there than 4th gear. I would think it would be fine to go as is.
Thought of closing it down a bit with the hub, but yeah, I’m going to keep the .010 on 4th. I’ve since spoken to 3 other builders that have used Weddles 002 style gears with the floating hub, and they all run them with .020+ endplay. I’m going to ponder Bruce’s suggestion of welding them together possibly on the next build. Everything seems to be a can of worms on this build, and I’m running out of time for an event.