5 speed Berg/Subaru or built type 1?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
kangaboy

5 speed Berg/Subaru or built type 1?

Post by kangaboy »

I have been doing a couple days of research and reading now...and with that said, I have opened quite the can of worms. Initially, I was just thinking of sending in my T1 trans to Rancho and getting it beefed up and getting close ratio gears. Then I figured I didn't want to have my bug spinning too fast on the high way and I really wanted to keep my 3.8 R&P and 0.93 4th I currently have. I really want to drag race my beetle someday in the future and want to build a trans around that, but also want to keep it high way friendly with the 4th gear I have now. So then I thought 5 speed. I saw the Berg conversion, and then found the Subaru conversion, and was very intrigued by that.
So with all that said, I know this will cost a pretty penny, and was ball parking $5k. If I'm going to build a trans, may as well build one that can last a long time and build it right the first time. Currently I am running ~20lbs of boost on my 1776cc, and I would only plan to make more HP in the future, so future proofing for hole shots is something I'm looking for (maybe 350+ hp in the future?)
Here are my options, and please gimme some input on any of them or offer additional options:
A: 4 speed beefed up internal T1 built by Rancho (or similar builder), keeping the 3.8 R&P and ~0.93 4th. Maybe closer ratio 2/3 gears? Assuming this would be the cheapest route, and I would just be able to drop it in with no adapters/flywheels/shift linkage/etc... But would it be best for the drag strip? *Prolly my top choice due to ease*
B: 5 speed Berg conversion. With this I would be able to get a nice set of race appropriate gearing for 1-4th, and have my highway gear in 5th. Costs quite a bit, and I would still have to send my trans out, but would it mount up relatively easy? Maybe some fabrication on the shift linkage because the trans is a bit longer? Did find out the Berg 5 is not known for its strength with the extended main and pinion shafts. Cost for the Conversion kit is listed at $1995 on Gene's website. That is just for the kit. I would still have to pay to send in my trans and to have it built, and then sent back.
C: Lastly, I wondered into the SubaGear website and liked what I saw. They have full built, 2wd, reverse geared 5 speed Subaru trans for $4000. That doesn't include the fabrication and shift linkage ($195) or the CV/Axle conversion kit ($535), so I would have to guess that I would be looking at $5000 for that set up. They also sell a conversion kit for $2100, so if I could find a used Subi trans in the junkyard, this would be an option.

So after typing this all out, I'm steering towards the built type 1, just due to the fact that I could get it in the car with no fab work or any adapters and all that. Feel free to comment and tell me the 5 speeds are better and worth it. Anyone want to hit me with some recommendations on the closer 2/3 gears on the type 1? I have a 74' beetle trans now.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Re: 5 speed Berg/Subaru or built type 1?

Post by Chip Birks »

I see no value in putting a Berg 5 in a turbo car. Gear it long and make the power to pull the long gears. I went slightly tight on mine, but actually better than stock once I bolt on my 26in tall rear tires. Turbo cars like the load long gears put on them. Just build a stout type 1 and move on with life. Or a better option would be an 091 Bus box. Stronger case, bigger r&p, potentially tougher gears too.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

I still have it stuck in my head that a 091 is the best option. After a couple months of searching, I still haven't been able to come up with a core. I emailed Rancho a few times and they want $5200 for a built 091 and core charge. Yikes.
I like the idea of a build type 1, but several people I have talked to say they don't last like they should. It makes me worried about spending a couple thousand and then having to have it rebuilt in a couple years. The search continues...hope to have it figured out soon...the next driving season will be here before we know it!!
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

You have several options, Chip gives very good advice. If you are thinking about bus transaxle then you should take a good look at the 091/1(or 094 4 speed(in Weddle terms) it is all around stronger than a nosecone 091 and has a large reverse gearset(burnouts in reverse) the only downside is you will either need to fabricate shift linkage or buy a cable shifter.
Good Luck
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

You have several options, Chip gives very good advice. If you are thinking about bus transaxle then you should take a good look at the 091/1(or 094 4 speed(in Weddle terms) it is all around stronger than a nosecone 091 and has a large reverse gearset(burnouts in reverse) the only downside is you will either need to fabricate shift linkage or buy a cable shifter.
Good Luck
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.