type 3 tranny

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Snowbug

type 3 tranny

Post by Snowbug »

Hello, does any one know ifa 70 bug tranny has the same gear ratios as a 72 type 3 tranny? The 72 is a known to be good and I want to put it in my 70 bug . thanks Jim
caxambas

Post by caxambas »

It will work fine, but the hockey stick has a dimple in a different location. You can use the beetle hockeystick or drill a dimple in the fastback hockeystick at the correct location. I want to put a beetle transaxle in a 72 fastback. If you want to, I send you my hockeystick and you send me yours (from the fastback)
Jos
Marc

Post by Marc »

The "dimple" needs to be exactly 180° from the existing one on the bottom. One way to get it there is to drill a small hole all the way through and then use it to pilot a larger bit to form the recess.
The III doesn't have any rear mounts but the holes are there for them - just knock out the aluminum plugs. Nosecone is the same.
Be sure to use the correct clutch cover for the release bearing; if it's an early `72 with the small-diameter cross-shaft you could install the `70 shaft and remove the TOB guide sleeve to use the `70 clutch (but the late setup is superior).
Snowbug

Type 3

Post by Snowbug »

Thanks guys, I knew about the plugs for the rear mount but I did not know about the hockey stick. When I drove the type 3 it seamed like the final gear ratio was higher then a bug. But I still do not know for sure . Jim
Marc

Re: Type 3

Post by Marc »

Snowbug wrote:When I drove the type 3 it seamed like the final gear ratio was higher then a bug...
Maybe it is, but someone would've had to install a `73-up bug trans in the III. From the factory, both cars should have a trans marked "AH" which denotes a 4.125 ring & pinion.
Then again, maybe it just felt taller due to the heavier vehicle.
snowbug

fastback

Post by snowbug »

It seems to go faster at top speed , maybe because of the streamlined body. Others say that the fan mounted on the crank gives more power then a bug engine or a combination. Jim

Post by Guest »

caxambas wrote:It will work fine, but the hockey stick has a dimple in a different location. You can use the beetle hockeystick or drill a dimple in the fastback hockeystick at the correct location. I want to put a beetle transaxle in a 72 fastback. If you want to, I send you my hockeystick and you send me yours (from the fastback)
Jos
Hi Jos, I will send the hockey stick for fre e if you pay shipping. I do not need yours, I have others. Jim