Transmission jig

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
John W. Kelly

Transmission jig

Post by John W. Kelly »

When the jig is used, is the shift fork AND the sliding gear the parts being adjusted?
Marc

Post by Marc »

The position of the fork on the rail is set. There are detents on the rail for each position; basically the slider ends up with the same running clearance in either gear.
John W. Kelly

Post by John W. Kelly »

How much room for adjustment is there on the fork rail? Seems like the notch for the hold down bolt wouldn't allow for much movement.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Plenty of room for adjustment (I've never needed more, anyway). If you have insufficient adjustment range you have the wrong rail for the slider/fork combination you're using and need to get a rail with the detents spaced further apart.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

John, you must be looking at a removed shift rail and mistaking the detent groove for the bolt slot. The bolt slot is actually quite wide.
John W. Kelly

Post by John W. Kelly »

I'm looking at the 1964 parts list and now that you mention it, the picture does show a very wide bolt notch. It'll be a couple months before I'm working on the transmission. Thanks for the help.
John W. Kelly

Post by John W. Kelly »

On fork adjustments, what exactly are we looking for? Sliding sleeve being centered on the clutch hub? It seems a check for clearance would be done here (in neutral) between the hub and either speed gear. Also, would any checks be made while the transmission is in gear, ie: the shift rail has three detents, is there a check for each position?

Post by Guest »

Yes, checking fork clearance in each position confirms that the correcct shift rail (or combination of parts) is being used, or if detents require modification. You do a lot of this if you modify sleeves for deeper gear engagement.