R&P cuts... Whats teh strongerest...

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!

Strongest type1 R&P

3.88G
56%
28%
4.12O
11%
6%
No votes

Total votes: 18

dangerous

Post by dangerous »

I know that this is an old post but new things have come to light since so here is a good place to mention them.

I have never seen an "O" 31/8 but would like to see one and if it is stronger than the G31/8.

Bugs and type 3s here in Australia had O 35/8, 8bolt gears in 1967.
I think I recall Bruce saying Eric told him Australia-VW bought the "O" machines.
They are a strong sturdy looking tooth form which has quite a short tooth height but I think would hold up well if you can keep the ring gear meshed.
Key way end.

Also of interest is the G 26/6 that came in 5 speed buses.
Massive teeth, and being that some used to splice 091 heads to type one shaft,
there is no reason this could not be done to make it fit
in a bus box 4-speed(or new Berg BUS/BUG 5 speed).

OF course now you can buy new ring and pinions in EN36A material from Albins here, and Weddle/ERCO over in the US so there is probably no need for all this prattle.
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

Double post?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The O 8:33 has certainly proven very strong, so naturally the O 8:35 sounds interesting ... too bad about the keyed end.

I probably wouldn't trust the 6:26 toothcount... the 6:29 was a dog.
It looked great, but has an unfavorable pressure angle.... not nearly as durable as the normal 4.86 ratio (7:34).
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

In June, a guy brought me a DSC IRS trans to convert to swing axle. Opened it up to find an O831! He said he bought the trans as is and was going to put it into a hot street car. Kind of a waste, but it was his R&P. I guess I could have bought it from him and swapped it, but I didn't want to do the work. That is the first and only one I have seen.

If anyone is interested, I have a K831 for sale, as well as several 8:35s. All German splined with 8 bolt ring gears.
gkeeton

Post by gkeeton »

Hello! I relize this is an old thread, but I was thinking about this topic yesterday. Is this thread reserved for Genuine VW R&P's only? If not, has anyone ever used a 3.44 R&P. I work at Jim's Custom VW's in Ohio, and Jim installed one of these in a trans for a customer that road raced. The customer liked the exact spacing of the 1st thru 4th gears with a 3.88 R&P, but wanted everything a little higher. The 3.44 that Jim got was from Richmond, and it had a massive pinion head. Comparing the head of the 3.44 to a 3.88 was like comparing a 3.88 to a 4.37. Due to the comparison of pinion heads, I would think a 3.44 R&P would be stronger than all 3.88 R&P's.
Logsplitter16

Re: R&P cuts... Whats teh strongerest...

Post by Logsplitter16 »

I found a beautiful O 833 4.12 ring and pinion pm me for more info
Pablo2

Re: R&P cuts... Whats teh strongerest...

Post by Pablo2 »

9mm or 10mm ring gear bolts?

I don't believe that poll is very accurate.
The 4.12 O belongs right below the 3.88 G,
and the 3.88 K needs to drop down lower, IMO ..
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Casting Timmy

Re:

Post by Casting Timmy »

Frito Bandito wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:24 pm
Do you have personal experinece with the 3.88K?

Only once. Back several years ago I bought new GB660K-3.875. It used the 9mm ring bolts 8 ea. Well I took it to a heat treat shop and had it taken from 62 rockwell down to 57 rockwell. The man was an old school drag racer and knew what hardness the drag gear sets were. He told me that I wouldnt break this R&P but would wear it out :shock: :o :D . However, I would have to adjust backlash as the set wore. This R&P went into stock gusseted case with one HD sidecover JayCee cloverleaf spool ect. with 2300# and 6 puck in my 1625# car running 10.70s on NOS.
Well I did not heed tha mans warning about backlash and pinion let loose at 180 passes. I feel had I corrected backlash as instructed this set would still be running.

This is the only one (K) I have had. So that is why I voted 388K.

Gary[/img]
Old topic we're bringing back up, but I recently read somewhere else about softening up the K for drag racing. They said they were too hard and brittle from teh factory, but softening them up let them last for drag racing.

I do think we're battling two things, what is the strongest gear cut and how well were certain gear sets made. I would think the O-K-G are the order of the cuts, but quality of the steel and who did the cutting makes certain G's stronger than K's