'71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: '71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Just "skinning" the 4 sides will help as would corner bracing or using solid angle pieces. If you have a bead roller an "X" on the skinning would help stiffen that up too.

I think I would have made the rear legs face the opposite direction as the front for additional strength (kind of like one side fighting/supporting the other) unless there is something going to be tucked in there. You are going to be both pushing and pulling (maybe hard) which would justify the change of rear post angles and add to that the tipping in all direction when you might have your hand on the shifter or the mount itself.

Always figure to the worse condition then add some :wink: .

You are going to stiffen up that hole in the rear aren't you :twisted: .

Lee

petew

Post by petew » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Just looking at the picture, I can see the issue straight away. Does it have to be so high up?

andy198712

Post by andy198712 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:26 pm

It’ll get there! You think some gussets would stiffen it up?

petew

Post by petew » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Yeah, but, I'd half the height too. Coz it's not a sequential box and you're not Governor Arnie.

ChadH

Post by ChadH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:05 am

I like the idea to skin it with sheet metal - that should be all it needs. I don't have a bead roller, but it would give me an excuse to buy some dimple dies to dress it up a little. I'll beef it up where I cut the slot. I'm just not there yet.

Pete, I sat in the seat, put my hands on the wheel, closed my eyes and reached for an imaginary shifter. That's where my hand told me to put it. I'm not sure why it offends you so much.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:46 am

Chad's Bug.jpg
Chad, this kind of bothers me. It looks like you may have cut into the radius of the tunnel; if so not good. Drill the ends of the cuts then weld close. I think I would have made the cut a bit wider than the universal then put some tube down, parallel to the shift rod, with stiffening flanges at the end for structure. The hole in the tunnel for access to the sifter connection I think is flanged for structural support also.

In that small area beading would be hard to do but look cool. Flanged holes would look so... professional :wink: .
stiffening bends.jpg
The next best thing might be to build you skins; where the flanges meet the base add a corner relief hole the thickness of the material or slightly bigger to eliminate stress risers. Then... you can very easily made some slight bends between opposing corners for both looks and additional strength. Make a couple practice pieces first as things can take much less strength than one might think.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogse ... etal+brake

This is not the cheapest small break you can buy but it gives and idea of what you can make yourself.

Using a vice for a short bend or even clamp some angle iron where you want the bend then use another one with pliers to make the bends.

So many ways to do something isn't there.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChadH

Post by ChadH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 pm

I think just skinning what I have, instead of building a whole new box will work. Honestly, I'm just working out of a 2-car garage and just don't have room for more big tools like a brake bender. Someday, when I build my dream workshop... ;) Also, there's a cross tube under the dash. I can tie into that. That would be a good place to put switches too.

If you look, I haven't completely removed the metal on the tunnel, it's just bent down out of the way. I'm thinking some triangular pieces to close off the sides, where it's bent down + something like a frame around the whole opening, maybe 1"x1" box to tie it together. If you look at all the cage ties to the torsion tube, body, rear horns etc, and the fact that I will triangulate door bars after the cockpit is set up, I don't think the car will fold in half.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:10 pm

I'll see if I can find it but I bought a 12" small brake from J C Whitney probably about 50+ years or so ago (I just looked and JC Whitney doesn't seem to carry them anymore but I have seen the cheap ones advertised and not that long ago.

This shows the press in a bending motion with the top piece that you bend around sitting on top of the press itself.
IMG_1319 copy.jpg
I knew where is was so I fought the good fight and got it down to photograph it. It is not 12" like I remembered but 18" long. It is AL and very light.
IMG_1317 copy.jpg
This shows the hinge/pivot working. The square blocks are where the handles fit in. The plate that holds the piece to be bent is shown here. It used "C"-clamps to hold it in place. You can make box type thing (in this case "skinning" by changing the length of the clamping plate.
IMG_1316 copy.jpg
Another view but this allows you to see the holes for the handles.

In the middle pix you can see the holes that you bolt the press down with. I would think almost anyone could figure out how to make one and on the cheap too. Stuff like this looks harder than it really is.

I bent up the pan for my horizontal/vertical drill press using basically the same idea differently.

"...I don't think the car will fold in half." It isn't the folding so much (still the cut area could widen if the right things happen but the twisting/racking that the tunnel also helps with was what I was looking at. It is the getting too close to the bend and not having any support (AKA a stiffening flange for the bend) for that small area that I am concerned about. Those areas can do wild and magnificent things in very short periods of time when not fully supported. To look at other people's things objectively was my secondary job most of my working life then in the last almost 10 years of so it was my only job one way or another. Not picking just trying to help with what I know.

I do understand the want for the sifter to sit higher than stock but still have a tight, but not too tight, shift pattern.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.