IRS camber ajusters have arrived !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Brent Bousman

Post by Brent Bousman »

OK I understand you can change the angle at the piviot point but how does that change the camber at the spring plate so we can have camber at the wheel?
david58

Post by david58 »

Brent Bousman wrote:OK I understand you can change the angle at the piviot point but how does that change the camber at the spring plate so we can have camber at the wheel?
If you raise the pivot point the spring plate twists slightly and it changes the camber to the positive side, if you lower the pivot it changes the camber to the negitive side. With that said toe in toe out comes also comes into play. So if you move the pivot you need to make sure the camber and toe are where you want them thru suspension travel.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Brent Bousman

Post by Brent Bousman »

What about stress and wear as the spring plate pushes one way and the piviot is trying to push the other way? Just wondering as the spring plate is pretty stout.

How about just cutting/grinding the spring plate some so you can move the bolts up to adjust the camber?
A_67vdub

Post by A_67vdub »

Brent Bousman wrote:
How about just cutting/grinding the spring plate some so you can move the bolts up to adjust the camber?
I think that would do nothing but change the ride height. To affect the camber, you would have to alter the AXIS that the suspension pivots around, which is what the camber adjusters do.

FYI the axis is a line from the center of the IRS pivot to where the torsion bar connects to the spring plate. If you were to fab up something that would raise/lower the end of the torsion housing without changing the pivot, it would also affect the camber. But Marco's version looks much better.

Steve
Brent Bousman

Post by Brent Bousman »

I hear ya but I'm still a little leery about twisting or turning the spring plate diagonally because the pivot is changed a few degrees. It's a little hard for me to even think about twisting the spring plate anyway but how many degrees do you think you can you twist the spring plate before it is a problem with interference?

I just want to think this through before I try to run a lot of negative camber.
david58

Post by david58 »

Brent Bousman wrote:I hear ya but I'm still a little leery about twisting or turning the spring plate diagonally because the pivot is changed a few degrees. It's a little hard for me to even think about twisting the spring plate anyway but how many degrees do you think you can you twist the spring plate before it is a problem with interference?

I just want to think this through before I try to run a lot of negative camber.
You shouldn't need to change the camber more than a degree or two at the most. So it won't be a problem. Think about a coil spring being compressed and extended. Which is way more than a spring plate will ever see by moving the pivots. So it is safe to say be fearless. :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
A_67vdub

Post by A_67vdub »

Thats a good question, I don't know. I know that swing axle spring plates twist a lot, but they are also longer to handle the twist. Why would you want to run negative camber? I would think the reason to run these camber adjusters is to eliminate the slight camber caused by lowering. If that wasn't a typo and you really want lots of neg camber, just get a swing axle.
Brent Bousman

Post by Brent Bousman »

Sorry let me explain. I race Rally and Autocross. Fearless - no problem I cut the transmission in half with a tree stump at full compression and almost pulled the motor out of the car as the car reached the ground. :shock: Let me explain further. I was on course and trying to get more corner speed with my -1 degree camber IRS and decided to run 2 tires in a long erosion ditch like a slot car. Now I hope to take a different line through the corner with more negative camber - think of the road being a flat 10 foot wide V with the car in the middle of the V. So I'm interested in running more negative camber to hold on the dirt corners and will take the compromise when I run autocross. I was up late last night am I making any sense?

Swing axels? I stopped racing them in the 80s.
Brent Bousman

Post by Brent Bousman »

I guess with little sleep I was too abrasive for you guys last week. :lol:

So do we have a consensus that we can crank Marco's adjuster a few degrees and the force will bend Both of the short IRS spring plates to actually obtain the desired negative camber? This may be obvious to you all but I don't get it yet. Something tells me that this is just for swing axels and yes I believe the swing axel spring plate will flex with little effort.

Yo Marco! We haven't heard from you in a while. How far negative can you adjust? It would be good to chime in so we know what we are getting for $160 US. Is this just for a swing axel?

Brent
david58

Post by david58 »

Brent the swing plate will only have to twist around 50 percent of the amount that the camber will change. Because it is near center from the pivot and the wheel.
Brent Bousman

Post by Brent Bousman »

David

I believe you meant spring plate and not swing plate as we are talking IRS and not swing axel.

I guess Marco is on vacation.
david58

Post by david58 »

Brent Bousman wrote:David

I believe you meant spring plate and not swing plate as we are talking IRS and not swing axel.

I guess Marco is on vacation.
You are correct I did call it by the wrong name, but a spring plate will give enough to change the camber. We are talking a smidgen here, it would not be noticeable to most people with a naked eye at the spring plate.
marcotheturbosteamengine

Post by marcotheturbosteamengine »

THIS AJUSTER IS NOT FOR SWINGAXEL!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY IRS!!!!!!!!

thats to clear that up.

the ajusters are a fixed point ajuster you can have 0.7deg positive or 0.7 negitive.
you can go less than 0.7deg by moving the tag up or down but the afect will also move towin and towout.
what they are intended for is when you lower a bug for racing"drag or street"you get too much negitive camber, this ajuster will allow you to reduse this negitive camber when lowring the car, allowing for better cornering.
you will not have any problem with the springplates.
thanks marco mansi.....
marcotheturbosteamengine

Post by marcotheturbosteamengine »

paul from the outlawflat4 is running apair of my ajusters. look at how perfect the camber is on the back when he is launches alowing for max tire grip!
Brent Bousman

Post by Brent Bousman »

Thanks for clarifying your devise is for IRS.

My car is not lowered in fact I just picked the rear up another inch to help keep my transmission in the car. I don't think using your devise which provides less than -1 degree is going to help me much when I rally as the race course is almost never flat from side to side.

marcotheturbosteamengine wrote:THIS AJUSTER IS NOT FOR SWINGAXEL!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY IRS!!!!!!!!

thats to clear that up.

the ajusters are a fixed point ajuster you can have 0.7deg positive or 0.7 negitive.
you can go less than 0.7deg by moving the tag up or down but the afect will also move towin and towout.
what they are intended for is when you lower a bug for racing"drag or street"you get too much negitive camber, this ajuster will allow you to reduse this negitive camber when lowring the car, allowing for better cornering.
you will not have any problem with the springplates.
thanks marco mansi.....