Front brake upgrade options

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Piledriver

Re: Front brake upgrade options

Post by Piledriver »

Note that I'm primarily on a weight reduction kick of sorts, the brakes work awesome as-is on a DD.
(BMW 2002Tii 4 pots on stock rotors/914 rotors with Mk4 calipers out back, w/parking brake)

Its more of an excercise in "how much does a big brake kit really have to cost, and how light can it be?".

The lightest setup I have isn't technically street legal, although the only reason is the wheel manufacturer won't pay to have them DOT blessed.
( liability insurance etc, the USA is a nation founded by lawyers, run by lawyers, largely for lawyers)

You cant tell me a spun/welded wide5 is weaker than the average DOT legal cast rim of the same size when they tend to chunk out on the first pothole. Racers beat wide5s back into shape with a hammer, remount and go 150MPH.

The 15x7s wide5s I have weigh 8 lbs. The whole setup w/2" tubular axles and aluminum balloon hubs and Wilwood brakes weight 3 lbs less than stock per wheel (stock w/the lightish Mahles I currently run). The stock steel rim alone weighs more than all of it.

Of course I seem to be cursed to keep stumbling back over this when I look for pinto weld in stub axles...
I wonder how it could be adapted to a T1/T3? They make a 4" narrow version too...
$312-395 complete front stub/snout for Pinto//Mustang2 front suspension for coil overs.
Totally tubular, man.
(just the red frame, the a-arms etc are extra but common as salt, the tall bits are for the strut setup it also works with)
http://www.jegs.com/p/Alston-Race-Cars/ ... e=60&pno=1

Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

^^^^^The price is right.
helowrench wrote:talk to us about that rotor......
Where did you get it?
They came in the kit, Tarox also most likely, the pads were in a Tarox box, they do make vents, or if the kit was put together by the supplier (Heritage VW) they may be Kerscher.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Gotcha. I think CSP has them also.

Yup, 150euro each.