Auto-x vids

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
ps2375

Auto-x vids

Post by ps2375 »

So, here are a couple of in-car vids from the last auto-x. The tires are a full tread street tire. It is very fun driving a rwd car with enough power to steer the car with the right foot, I know it not necessarily the quickest way around the course, but, it is fun and I can't help it.

The Newf

Re: Auto-x vids

Post by The Newf »

Looks like a blast!
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

It is very fun, and even better with this car. It is much better since I adjusted the front with additional caster and took out some camber. It had zero or poss even some positive camber for the first event I drove it in. Feels much different now on mountain roads, but really needs better tires for auto-x, but that is not in the budget at this time.
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Awesome!! You don't have to have a fast car to do well. To me, it's all about having fun and putting your car through it's paces the best you can. Your first video with you laughing at the end reminds me of my son & I on this run (we were definitely not the fastest, but came away "winners" because of the great time we had together).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k9cbZ2m3PI
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

That was my ride-along, an M3 driver, he was tickled cause we were looking at the last set of cones before the finish thru the driver's side window and I allowed the car to regain rear grip and it straightened out and slid right past them.

Yes, I am all about the fun in this car, cause I doubt I'll buy the dedicated wheels and tires to move the car further up the timing chart.
I sent my dad, who actually built this car 20+yrs ago, these vids and he was very pleased to see what it can do and how well it sounds. I have a few more alterations planned, but 95% of this car will be as he built it, cause he did it correctly and in a manner that doesn't need changing.

Fun in the rain, we don't have very many like that here, but we have done it like that and street tires are a benefit at those.
carl4x4

Post by carl4x4 »

Looks like fun, I used to Auto-x MX5's a while ago and had a blast! might see if I can enter the Ghia next year :-)
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

We have a local who races the MX5, he has placed top 5 at Nat'ls a time or two. His motto is "manly deeds in womanly cars". A really good driver and the car can do amazing things in the right hands.

The Ghia could be fun, the thing I remember about driving them was you sat low and I had a hard time judging where the corners were. I guess if you are used to it, that can be overcome.
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

ps2375 wrote:That was my ride-along, an M3 driver, he was tickled cause we were looking at the last set of cones before the finish thru the driver's side window and I allowed the car to regain rear grip and it straightened out and slid right past them.
For us, the whole event was really wet and was a drift-fest with no real "competition" going on. We giggled like school girls all day long. :lol:

Nothing better than a fun day in the car!!
Humble

Post by Humble »

Here's a couple of my runs from a few years ago when the race bug had a 2165 turbo. It's a pretty crazy setup, big motor/tires/brakes, and was pretty damn fast.

External view, (you can hear it starve out after the sweeper)

A couple of my favorite runs, in car for a sense of speed. 1st gear tops out at 60mph :)

Another quick run mostly 2nd gear this time
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Nice to see some vids from other areas. Your region must have an endless supply of cones to be able to provide a "sea of cones" like that. Sometimes I find that too many cones is worse than not enough cones.