Question about coil overs and chassis strength

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Steve92004

Question about coil overs and chassis strength

Post by Steve92004 »

I think I stripped out the inner splines of my torsion tube, every time I take it out I lose rear travel and have to adjust the torsion bars back up
I'm tired of it and want to put coil overs
I have Fox smooth bodies now
You think my rear hoops would hold up to the coil overs if I took the torsions out?
If not, what would you suggest to reinforce it... short of building a whole new cage
Thanks!

Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Question about coil overs and chassis strength

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.mooreparts.com/torsion-housing-adjusters/ (I am not pushing Moore parts but was aware that they, and others carried them)

These might be an option to do a fix if you did strip out the splines on the torsion housing.

As far as the coil overs go, I would check with Fox, King, Bilstein or any of several other companies who do make good shocks and coil-over versions. Where you mount the shock now vs. what you can get in a good coil over is the big question (length).

Lee
Steve92004

Post by Steve92004 »

Thanks lee, I was going to replace the smoothies with the same size coil over, 8 1/2" travel or maybe step up to 10's which would cut out 1 1/2" of upward movement but add 4" of downward travel
I was just wondering if the shock hoops can hold the weight of the car and a little off road abuse
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Your plan sounds very reasonable. It sounds like you are doing your homework very well.

Most of the guy I know are running longer shocks and two sets of springs per shock. A ligh lbt rated spring and a higher lb rated spring to get a balanced ride for normal travel and higher suspension compression. Again, this is off-road suspension so it probably wouldn't affect what you are doing.

Lee