Brake balance, equal or big in the front?

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
maurice

Brake balance, equal or big in the front?

Post by maurice »

Been searching and I'm not sure what's the best setup for my braking needs.

I'm running a 66 bug, soon to be IRS with 225 toyo DOT track tires in the rear, and 185 toyo sticky tires up front (may go wider).

My plans are some drag racing, street use, and maybe some autocross for fun. Currently pushing 165hp, and picking up a 275hp motor soon.

I picked up a set of 2 piston cnc brakes for the rear, and I'm wondering if I should get an equal setup for the front, or go 4 piston (either cnc, or airkewld with wildwood calipers)

The car needs to stop as I plan on going quite fast.

I did my best to search but nothing came up besides the amazing ghia track car setup
Thanks for your help.
Piledriver

Re: Brake balance, equal or big in the front?

Post by Piledriver »

Something that has always frustrated me is that even with self adjusting rear discs with integrated parking brakes, there is still significant R/F bias variation over time as the self adjusters seem to work in discrete steps, so it will start to suck and then get good again once the slack gets taken up, usually via flailing the parking brake handle..

My 914 had no parking brake for quite some time, 4 "front" calipers (fronts were a little bigger 4 pots), and the braking was dead consistent.

My square (with MK4 rear calipers and the same front 4 pots from the 914) stops like I hooked a stump with an anchor...
... except when it doesn't... depending on the self adjustment out back. With any play the rears are just along for the ride.

That got far more noticable when I went to big sticky tires... 245/50-16 on 8" back, 205/55-16 6" front, Cooper Zeon RS3-As, really stick for all season tires and work great in torrential rain. They have a "summer only" version as well, the RSA-S. Bubble gum for tread, really dry traction only, a co-worker with a `15 Saleen has those and can't get into his own driveway in the rain. (I suspect due to being lowered severely/suspension travel limits more than the tires)

Setups like a 944 with the internal drum parking brake are a tad heavy but should provide more consistent stops.
(I have even considered making a lightweight inboard parking brake setup)

I'm planning about 50/50 and use an adjustable pressure limiter setup to deal with changing conditions.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
maurice

Re: Brake balance, equal or big in the front?

Post by maurice »

Awesome :)