Fuchs 16x7

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
volksdragn

Fuchs 16x7

Post by volksdragn »

Hi all I'm sure this may be covered somewhere else but here goes. I'm going to attempt to run 16x7 Fuchs on the front of my 1960 ragtop. Here's what I'm concerned with. If I use drop spindles and a disk brake conversion it will push out roughly 1 1/4 inches. The Fuchs have a 23mm offset which is just about an inch so say I'm roughly 1/4 out now. With a 195 50 16 tire my tires will be 7.8 inches wide somewhere In that area. Does anyone have any expericabe with this size and will it rub on the pan? I want to go two inches narrowed but I'm 99% sure that 2 inches narrowed with rub. Any help is appreciated
Jadewombat

Re: Fuchs 16x7

Post by Jadewombat »

It probably won't rub on the pan at the wider, if you narrow it though??? If it does you can always get wheel spacers to push the track out wider a few millimeters more. I ran 16x7 and 16x8s on my '73 and it didn't rub on the inners at full lock. Of course the wider track won't line up with stock fenders either which is why I went with fender flares, but I wasn't throwing tons of money at that car either.

volksdragn

Post by volksdragn »

Yeah exactly, I was thinking about the spacers too, but like you said I don't want a crazy wide track either. I'll soon learn how it works out. I think I'm just going to do a standard beam not narrowed and see how it goes
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

I'm using 7x15 Fuchs (same offset) on my late Beetle. I have a narrowed beam (3.75") and KG discs. It doesn't rub the pan because I set the steering stops to reduce the amount of turn it can do. While backing up, the play in the tie rod ends pull and it rubs the pan.
With that wheel and tire, you will limit how tight you can turn. Forget doing a u-turn.