Autocross Super Front Spring Rate

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
ChadH

Autocross Super Front Spring Rate

Post by ChadH »

This is related to my '71 super build below. Sorry to start a new thread on this. I didn't want my question to get lost with all the other ramblings and musings in my other thread.

I just ordered the Topline Maxx Extreme struts. I understood that they come with an 80 lb/in rate. It's not listed on their site, but they have 80, 90 and 100 lb/in available.

I'm planning to initially use the stock sway bar, and start out with 181 bars in the rear. My thought is to go with the 100 in-lb springs of the front, and tune the car using larger/smaller rear torsion bars and/or rear sway-bar if needed.

I know this is a tough question to answer since the car is not complete and I haven't driven it to give input on how it handles. I just want to get opinions if my logic is grossly in error before I complete my order. :)
H2OSB

Re: Autocross Super Front Spring Rate

Post by H2OSB »

I believe of the three, you'll definitely want to go with the 100 lbs/in springs. Higher, if you can find it...the Maxx struts use a very small I.D. spring, 60mm if I recall correctly. You could get by with 2.25 in springs, I believe. Look at Coleman racing for some alternative rates.

I have a buddy who regularly autoXs a '71 1302 as well. He has the regular Maxx struts up front with the yellow 80 lbs/in springs and Porsche 944 torsion bars in the back. He has said many times he wishes he had stiffer springs.

I have 120# springs on custom coil overs on the front of my 1303, along with Porsche 944 torsion bars in the back. The front of my car is pretty stiff, but not punishing.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
ChadH

Re: Autocross Super Front Spring Rate

Post by ChadH »

Thank you for the verification. I went ahead and ordered the 100#. It's good to know there's stiffer springs out there if needed too. I just want to be sure I don't get too "creative" before I've had a chance to race the car. 8)