Shock tech related thread

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
PhillipM

Re: Shock tech related thread

Post by PhillipM »

The issue with using digressive valving in the piston in an inerter, is that if you're trying to use the inerter for damping the tyre sidewall movement then the very area you want the inerter to be working is in high speed, low amplitude movements.
Piledriver

Re: Shock tech related thread

Post by Piledriver »

Bought some Bilstein circle track shocks (new) for $20/ea, S6G-4020, rule of thumb has them about right for the front end, digressive valving. 36mm piston.
Need to get them to my local Smileys to see if they really dyno shocks for $8 as advertised, or if that's only with a rebuild/revalve.
(Think I'll call first, not sure they have a shock guy at all locations)

Intent was to convert them to take aparts to allow revalve etc, they show up and this is the first thing I see:
SG6-cover-1.jpg
OhNOOOOOOOOOOOSe! Its a Eeeeeeevil conspiracy!!! A new part impeding taking them apart!!!(?)
Nope---Its a NEW design--- Its simply a pressed-in crap cover setup, now retains the graphite or poly shaft wiper separate from the seal, greatly simplifying the design... Pops right off with a few gentle taps of a chisel.
S6G-cover-4.jpg
...exposing the std Bilstein snap ring setup to allow disassembly once the pressures relieved.
S6G-cover-5.jpg
I'm reasonably sure the newer 51xx series shocks use a similar setup.

Not going to convert this set, as they seem to be perfect on the front as-is, softer than even the std Monroe oil shocks on big stuff but much more low speed damping. Deep pot holes only make a noise now, no thump.
Not sure I can get the needed damping for the rear from 36mm shocks anyway, and going std 46mm opens up ~infinite valving choices.

For the rear, I'm considering getting some of the "universal" 5150s, there's a ~4.6" stroke with studs on both ends, very short body...or the Chevy C1500-3500 front have the 5.6" ~IRS perfect stroke and look like they have digressive pistons and the right valving for off-road rear (360/80), but its a start.
The c1500 5/8" lower eye will be trivial to put on the 14mm bolt, no precious 944 turbo-specific pure unobtanium 1/2" shock adapter studs needed. The std Bilstein 1/2" eyes are also trivial to bore to 14mm or even 5/8", plenty of meat, so I'm a little fuzzy why anyone would ever even think of necking them down to 1/2", esp. in a single shear coil-over setup.

For the universal or the C1500 fronts, trim and retread the 10mm stem(s) as needed, slap on a std 10mm threaded heim eye and groove them you have custom length coil over ready 46mm Bilstein shocks the perfect length and stroke, that can be converted to take-apart in the usual way if a revalve or oil change etc are desired.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.