Rear Suspension Setup

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Piledriver

Re: Rear Suspension Setup

Post by Piledriver »

:lol: I see what you did there, ol' Fog, that would work.
You could alternatively safety wire them together, probably.
Blue Locktite at the very least.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Since this is suspension and is critical it would be ok to lock-tight it but i would recommend the mechanical lock to be the main device.

One thing about locking nuts is that the cycles of use can get away from you... you forget or don't know the numbers of cycles and you can have a problem. Several of the "car" shows lately have mentioned the "pinch" type of locking nuts and cycles lately.

Some of the offs-shore locking nuts have very few cycles to them. Ever pulled a split washer off where it has been installed for a long time and found it flat?
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

On aircraft we only really use a nylon lock once. And rarely

We use loads of wire locking or split pins though....
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The NAS standards I worked with for nylon locking devices is/was something like 7 or 9 cycles of application minimum but other standards, for higher strength fasteners (grade for example), probably would have tighter cycle regulations.

From what I am seeing from off-shore fasteners their "use cycles" are way lower than what I had to work with; one cycle or less. I had one bunch of self locking (not "pinch style") that came in a "kit" where the blue locking material crumbled and dropped out as I was installing them for the first time. I feel that this is the fault of the "importer" to either not have a good contract standard and, if they do, they are not "lot" checking what is contained in the kit.

Fasteners (Standards) are not just "fasteners" (the term fasteners is a very broad name and covers more than just nuts, bolts, and washers) and there are different levels (strength for example) for something that uses the same descriptive name but who's design use might have a higher or tighter level for usage (trying not to get too technical or deep into this). In aircraft there are at least two series/levels of fasteners; one for flight (FAA and EAA do have differences in allowable parts use also) and one for mockup purposes.

Very complex subject to say the least.

Lee