Give me ideas for a door handle.

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
ChadH

Give me ideas for a door handle.

Post by ChadH »

Not really "handling and suspension", except RACECAR!!

I cut out the inner door area, just because I like cutting sheet metal and the weight reduction will save me 0.00001 seconds on a 60-second course. For this, a cable with a loop on the end I think will work well to operate the latch mechanism from the inside of the car.

For the outside though..the regular door handle is broken, and I don't really want to get a replacement, since they are bulky and more than really needed. When I was a kid, i drove around for years without a door handle, and just stuck my finger in the hole and pushed on the mechanism directly. This is easy stuff when you know VW's, but I don't want to run into issues with Tech folks. I'd like to fill the small hole and maybe the notch in the door, then fab something simple and intuitive to unlatch the door from the outside (yah I know..factory handle :D .)

Give me some ideas :P

Marc

Re: Give me ideas for a door handle.

Post by Marc »

You need an external handle because you run windows, or they require external doorhandles for the safety crew to use if they need to pull you out?

Couldn't you just drill a hole in the latch (the part you pushed with your finger) and stick a bolt into it that protrudes out the hole? Weld a big fender washer to the underside of the bolt head and paint "PUSH" on it. That's about as minimalist as you can get ;)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Do any of the later model Mk1-3 Golf handles work or can be made to work?
Plastic, lighter, dirt cheap and plentiful, might have to mod the door skin some, but the mechanism is very similar.
I put some ~Mk3 1/2 Chinese mkt pull handles on my Mk1 (Cabriolet) work nice with some massaging.

I know you don't want door handles but it looks silly, esp on a race car, unless you can do the Dukes of Hazzard exit/entry routine, which for me would require a much bigger window, and probably an electric hoist.

For the interior release you can do an RSR style fabric strap, but you'll probably want to weld that bit you cut out back in for support.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
5.0 Chero

Post by 5.0 Chero »

Since you are cutting out metal I will Assume you can fabricate things I am also assuming you are not worried about locking it,

fab up a spring loaded button plate to push the release on the door latch mechanism and put a scalloped plate over the recess to get your fingers behind to pull the door open
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Thanks for the ideas. Thinking more about it, this car will never get done if I create too many unnecessary fabrication projects. I like 5.0 Chero's idea, but not sure if I can pull it off without looking like a hack-job. After a couple beers on a Saturday afternoon, I tend to get over-ambitious. :wink:

I'll just go the easy route and find some stock handles. Argh, I remember throwing away like 4-sets of handles a few years ago, thinking "I'll never need these."

I think some orange powdercoat will look more racy than chrome, and it'll match my planned "Gulf" theme.

I am going to put a little tack weld on the mechanism, so it doesn't get accidentally locked. A pull strap or cable on the inside should be easy.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Have you thought of making your own "poppers"? In the old days they used some kind of solenoid, I just don't remember just what. The commercial ones are $$$ but with a little creativity and a " search" or two....

Lee
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Have you thought of making your own "poppers"? In the old days they used some kind of solenoid, I just don't remember just what. The commercial ones are $$$ but with a little creativity and a " search" or two....

Lee
If this were a street car - I'd tackle it. The stock solution is gong to be best for a "racecar" though.

Warning: I'm having Sunday afternoon beer, so be prepared for another crazy question for some other useless mod :lol:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Just a potentually light weight idea. :D
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

i use a cable, anchors behind the skin and runs down to the release toggle, it runs through fuel hose in the old handle recess for good pulability of the emergency crews. ive seen unopenable doors in side impact cases with smashed handles, my system weighs nothing and cant fail. ill try a pic, but its hard to see them as theres nothing much there to see.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

https://www.flickr.com/gp/40412896@N00/zo4839
cant be doing all that re sizing but you can see the pull cable in this shot, assuming the link works.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

If you're going just to- and from- the auto-x with the car, consider Porsche door type pulls inside the door and as an outer handle.

I've seen these straps on the front of Miatas as tow hooks, so I doubt (I could be wrong though) anyone with SCCA should have a problem with it at a local auto-x.