Middle ground for new front discs

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
kangaboy

Middle ground for new front discs

Post by kangaboy »

I am wanting to put some disks up front on my 74 Standard Bug. I have had the EMPI brand with the tiny pads, and didn't really appreciate them. I had do to maintenance on them too often, and just didn't like them. I have been eyeing the Willwood set up for a while now:
http://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/front ... a-1968-74/
But I don't know if I can justify ~$700 for them.

Is there anything more in between the two set-ups (EMPI and Wilwood)? I don't plan to track this bug, and just want something good. With this said, I still may try and save up for the Wilwoods, but I just wanted to know of other good options. Also, I am not concerned with original lug size, as I would probably get just get blank rotors and drill something more common like 5x4.5".
Chip Birks

Re: Middle ground for new front discs

Post by Chip Birks »

I have Wilwood 4 pistons on the front of my 60. The brakes are extremely responsive. The car slows down with much less effort than the original drums. Stopping from 120mph at the dragstrip is no longer a scary experience!
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Chip,

I suppose you have Wilwood Dynalites?

What master cylinder do you use?

FJC
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

FJCamper wrote:Hi Chip,

I suppose you have Wilwood Dynalites?

What master cylinder do you use?

FJC
I don't think they are Dynalites, those are a lot more curvy than what I have. Maybe mine are an older model of the same though. Not real sure.

Master cylinder is a disc brake version from Airkewld. I have their brakes front and rear.