Rear Brake Calipers

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
H2OSB

Re: Rear Brake Calipers

Post by H2OSB »

I was unaware there were any "fit over" rotors for the 205mm bolt circle. That's the way to go.

H2OSB
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

H2OSB wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43 pm I was unaware there were any "fit over" rotors for the 205mm bolt circle. That's the way to go.

H2OSB
They don't "fit over", they bolt on the back side of the custom 5x205 splined hub, just as they bolt to the 5x130 aluminum hubs for the front, ~same as they do on a classic 911 or 944 front hub.

The 5x205 pattern makes it a PITA, that's why Porsche abandoned it when they went to discs.

A lot of those off road 5x205 disc setups have 2 or 3 sets of bolts holding things together and are really little better than bolt on adapters, which ~nobody would even suggest.
(can't comment on the CB wide5 setup, but the 5x130 setup is very nice)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Duplicate post
Last edited by H2OSB on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Oh, I thought the rotor in the picture was like the later slip over type. I had typed in a message about not knowing of any slip over rotors for the 205mm pcd then I looked at the picture.

In my mind I thought we were talking about a set up with a rear drum is turned down into a hub, and where a slip over rotor is needed. Rear set up only.

The only kits I've seen for disc brakes in wide 205 were heavy suckers in multi parts, bolted together.

H2OSB
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

H2OSB wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:56 pm In my mind I thought we were talking about a set up with a rear drum is turned down into a hub, and where a slip over rotor is needed. Rear set up only.

The only kits I've seen for disc brakes in wide 205 were heavy suckers in multi parts, bolted together.

H2OSB
This was my plan. Turning the wide five drum down to a wide five hub, and then using that as a hub...then putting the cb rotor that I linked, on top of it. Good?
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The CB hub shown fits over a 4x130 CrMo hub or on the back of an aluminum hub, depending on model.
No one sells anything that fits over a 5x205, that would be really huge.

Theres a possibility that you could hang it on spacers attached to the back of the iron 5x205 "hub", given some machining.

I would be more inclined to use a Wilwood rotor on an adapted wilwood steel backside adapter like they use on their new wide5s (not VW, 5 x 10.25" Ford) and attach it to the hub part rather than the wheel mounting bit like Wilwoods latest designs.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
petew

Post by petew »

kangaboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:45 pm This was my plan. Turning the wide five drum down to a wide five hub, and then using that as a hub...then putting the cb rotor that I linked, on top of it. Good?
I'm a bit mystified by what you mean here. I think PD is having trouble understand it too. Could you clarify with a pic or diagram of some sort?
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

petew wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 am
kangaboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:45 pm This was my plan. Turning the wide five drum down to a wide five hub, and then using that as a hub...then putting the cb rotor that I linked, on top of it. Good?
I'm a bit mystified by what you mean here. I think PD is having trouble understand it too. Could you clarify with a pic or diagram of some sort?
Eh, after reading all the previous posts again, and staring at my wheels, I can now understand why this is so difficult. The Wide Five lug pattern makes it a bit difficult to use a rotor, because the bolt pattern has such a wide diameter. Like Pile and H2OSB said before, that is why there are several layers bolted together to allow the rotor to be offset a ways from the hub.

EDIT: Prolly be the easiest to get a pair of these, get some rear calipers from the junkyard, and fab up some caliper mounts myself.
http://socalautoparts.com/shop/brake-pa ... ern-5x205/
2084 Turbo Build
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Those all-in-one wide5 rotors simplify everything, I didn't know they were a thing.
Do they sell a caliper kit to match?
They have the fronts as well, BJ or KP.

You probably want the Mk4 Passat calipers and bracket, easy to make up a mount for it.
Try to get the aluminum calipers.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Piledriver wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am Those all-in-one wide5 rotors simplify everything, I didn't know they were a thing.
Do they sell a caliper kit to match?
They have the fronts as well, BJ or KP.
I think they only sell the rotors separate...everything else has to be bought in the kit.

Back
http://socalautoparts.com/shop/brake-ki ... n-5x205-2/

Front Ball Joint
http://socalautoparts.com/shop/brake-ki ... n-5x205-4/

Front King Pin?
http://socalautoparts.com/shop/brake-ki ... ern-5x205/
2084 Turbo Build
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That's even a reasonable price...
Probably just using the std EMPI brackets.---EDIT Nope, its all part of a custom setup by a third party mfr.

Nice how well integrated it is, but when they stop selling the very custom bits you get to do it all over.

I would probably lean towards the CB kit, if only because I have some faith they'll be around in 10 years.