944 turbo front brakes

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
681tonburb

944 turbo front brakes

Post by 681tonburb »

Hey guys I'm back to working on my avenger and I got to get these front brakes done. I have Porsche 944 turbo calipers from a 1986 944 I have a set of hubs off a 944 but don't know year. I'm looking to find out what spindls would be the best drum or disk . I'm going to get lowered spindls and make my own brackets . I found a copy of the dementions used to make the baring adaptors for the hubs to work on the VW spindle so I can have those made . I just need to make the caliper brackets now or after I get the spindls that is.
DORIGTT

Re: 944 turbo front brakes

Post by DORIGTT »

Check out franklinsvwwerks.com for a really cool setup. I just met with Franklin yesterday and he shared some really cool parts they make to make the swap EASY.
vwo60

Post by vwo60 »

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

IMHO the large 944 Brembo front calipers are going to provide very poor brake bias on almost any ACVW, particularly a lowered glass kit car, where the rears need to basically be the same size as the fronts... plus they may require a larger master cylinder. They would probably work on a Bus or jacked up Baja due to increased weight transfer.

I have them on the rear of my squareback with 1.25" Wilwood Superlites up front, seems close to perfect, some of the "extra" rear caliper force is wasted on the Mintex red street pads, vs PF#12s up front.
(Yes I realize they are for 28mm rotors, they work just fine)
#12s are currently Performance Frictions lowest grip racing pad, but they are still actual racing pads. (but seem to work great on the street)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

Ya vdub no longer does that kit because it's cheaper and easier to do the wilwood brakes . I have a copy of the German magazine that tells you how to make the parts I just need a shop to do the work I live in a small town and no one hear is up to doing it . I know it may be to much brake for the car but with the custome frame and all the other stuff , and possibly a Subaru swap some day I figure I'll have plenty of room to grow . The car will see more show time then road time anyway it's too hot hear to drive a car with no ac
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

My concern isn't of "too much brakes" but of very poor F/R brake bias, which is a very unsafe.
Having the fronts lock up first is preferable to the rears first, but the % amount would have you locking the fronts early then sliding through the intersection, with the rears doings almost nothing.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

Ya I'm sure I'll have to use an adjustable valve to tune in the brake bias
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Here’s my setup for my 70 GhiaImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

Who did you get the addaptors from I still need a set . Or I just need to sell off this 944 stuff and go a different route
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

Who did you get the addaptors from I still need a set . Or I just need to sell off this 944 stuff and go a different route
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Frank @ FranklisVWWerks dot com in Kent, WA. Outstanding guy and great shop to go spend time in.