Hydraulic Handbrakes for khanas - chinese or what?

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
petew

Hydraulic Handbrakes for khanas - chinese or what?

Post by petew »

Having raced on the weekend and tried to get my cable handbrake to work well, I'm looking into fitting a hydraulic handbrake (although not immediately). A few specs I'd like...

1. Easily removable handle for normal street driving.
2. Small compact-ish design (stealth).
3. front mounted under the dash
4. And of course, cheap.

I searched up ebay and found two hundred, chinese, $50 units. What I'm wondering is, has anyone had any experience with these chinese things? Are there some I should avoid/choose? Who else is using a setup on a drum (type 3 wagon, wide five) rear end?
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Hydraulic Handbrakes for khanas - chinese or what?

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

While probably not street legal (disclaimer) the single or dual handle turning brakes we use off-road should be able to be mounted up front like you are asking about and the handle(s) might be able to be modified by cutting off the handle a bit above the pivot into the handle's pivot area, add some bolt holes for bolting on a handle designed to meet your needs.

Since the "Bug" brake line is in the body and above the floor already it shouldn't be too hard to re-plumb your rear brakes this way.

A single handle (push/pull) should work best for what I think you are talking about (http://www.mooreparts.com/cnc-hydraulic-turning-brakes/ In this case it is the SKU: CNC-422AB-34 style that I would be talking about (the prices sure have gone up lately). As you have noticed the push/pull style of cylinders is a stacked pair of cylinders but... remember back when the big thing was to have an under dash and over the tunnel console, with maybe a slide up door opening on it to store things in. Does that give you any ideas :twisted: :roll: .

Also, if you are real "stealthy" then you might even be able to figure out a remote location for the cylinders so you would only have the handle stub noticeable when the handle is removed. I don't remember of there being any other more reasonable off-the-shelf designed cylinders available to meet this requirement.

The real problem with this idea is your requirement for "cheap" but maybe it will give you some ideas.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
petew

Post by petew »

Yeah, I actually don't want a "cutting" or "turning brake" that activates one side or the other. That would put me in a "special" class. I just want a "drift" brake or hydraulic handbrake that operates both back wheels.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Ohhhh! I wondered about that at the time I posted before but I didn't bother to search on "drifting brakes" at the time.

This is one of many sites that sell drift brakes: https://www.driftworks.com/hydraulic-ha ... ckage.html or https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=drift+handbrake for example. A lot cheaper than turning brakes and can be installed in line like turning brakes are. I think there are also options for handle shapes so you could more easily hide the units.