Early shock tower clearance for IRS

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
petew

Re: Early shock tower clearance for IRS

Post by petew »

Hillclimb in Australia is a very short course road racing time trial. Like autocross, but up a hill. ACVWs tend to do quite well despite a lack of power. So he'll want the car low, but with plenty of travel.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks Pete. I thought your term might be something different than our term means. From your description it sounds more like what we used to call Gymkhana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymkhana_(motorsport)) or might be closer to the new version of Pro Rallying. I'm not sure just what Pro Rallying is now days but from what I gather it is more like rallying done in Europe.

Around here Gymkhana was usually either auto crossing on dirt or some of the other styles of auto crossing like when you go through the cones and have to park in a slot then parallel park that is timed and measured to how close you come to the marks when you do both parking skills. There were also drag racing styles where you launched hard then went through the cones then to the finish line... timed.

Pro rallying used to be closed course racing for time. The course was usually on something like logging roads and the lowest time was the point marker for the rest with street rallying between closed courses. We also had TSD rallying which is "time, speed and distance" rallies aka Friday Nighters. They were timed events plus following the course usually, but not always at night. There were points for coming into the checkpoint(s) from the wrong direction (usually coming in early). The club I was in did all three but I was more into drag racing (a lot more to the story back then) so I joined the club for the insurance by Ford.

Thanks again for the clarification. Lee
petew

Post by petew »

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks Pete, it is kind of like I thought, a solo event. Around here our local racetrack was built many, many years ago on an old gravel pit (as I remember). Because of that it is not flat and you descend and climb your way to the start/finish. (http://pacificraceways.com/road-course/) this shows the track and, it you noticed it towards the end of the warm up circuit, you can see both gravel and get a rough idea of some of the depth you travel around the course. Cameras do flatten things out but you get an idea anyway. It is also used for drag racing (I have done that there) and other events such as motocross. One of my neighbors has the go-cart track there.

Thanks again for the enlightenment Pete.

Lee
MegaManx

Post by MegaManx »

So this is the (almost) finished product. Everything clears perfectly now. I took out just enough material so that if the bump stop should somehow fail then the spring plates will still hit just before the arms. I’m not going to bother with any other plates or gussets, because this thing is strong, the original material is thick and has heaps of shapes already in it, its going to take a huge amount of force to twist the towers. Yes I will also be running a kaferbar in the future, but for now I have to get it ready for a show.

I know hill climbing is popular all around the world, from experience I just assumed that everyone used the same name. anyway so yes this is for tarmac not dirt :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

That looks a lot stronger! I think I would add a top to the piece so you would end up with kind of like a capital "I" shape. You removed the bottom part of the Capital I which is there to strengthen for a side to side motion while the center handles a lot of the up and down motion. Diagonals in the I-beam usually show load patterns and are not used for looks :wink: .

Looking better and better all the time.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
OldSkool54

Post by OldSkool54 »

Bit of a long shot considering how old this thread is, but I am having the same clearance issue. I'm not so keen on cutting the shock tower and wondered if anyone had examples of notching the trailing arm? Or perhaps making custom trailing arm for lowered IRS? Thanks
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

spring notch o1.jpg
Is this what you are looking for?

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldSkool54

Post by OldSkool54 »

No, more like the very first picture of this post where the image shows 2 red circles where the trailing arm hits the shock tower