Upper strut bushings

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
H2OSB

Upper strut bushings

Post by H2OSB »

Has anyone replaced the rubber portion of a 1303 upper strut mount with the urethane bushing from a rabbit? It fits. I have a pair and have personally confirmed to fit. My car is currently not one the road, so I can't road test the bushings. I'm generally all over the idea of replacing the suspension bushing in a Super with urethane, but I'm curious if they significantly increase NVH.

H2OSB
raygreenwood

Re: Upper strut bushings

Post by raygreenwood »

Unless you are driving this car on the track.....you do not want urethane for the strut bushing. It sucks for ride quality, squeeks, breaks things.....and they harden up at a rate of about 3-5% per year and are an automatic 10-15% harder in freezing weather.

So the best of the urethane bushings are usually around 75-80 durometer in hardness. Stock bushings are 45-50 durometer.
You can usually get harder mount bushings in normal rubber for some mk 1 and 2....55-60 durometer....from places like ECS tuning. Ray
H2OSB

Re: Upper strut bushings

Post by H2OSB »

Thx Ray. Since that post I bought a pair of VW Fox bushings. They were cheap at $12 per side and substantially higher durometer. Btw, Porsche 944 bushings fit...but are softer (?!)

H2OSB