Power Rack and Pinion

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
dlamyle

Power Rack and Pinion

Post by dlamyle »

Finally got her back on the ground. I haven't done a road test yet but steering is in the one finger realm at a stop. My steering was a problem due to added caster, wide sticky tires, new ball joints/tie rods and a smaller steering wheel. I'm using a the stock Subaru power steering pump with some custom lines.
Power steering rack 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
vwo60

Re: Power Rack and Pinion

Post by vwo60 »

Hi, Have you measured the bump steer and ackerman angle.
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

I didn't change the spindles so Ackerman should be unaffected. Bump steer can't get any worse than stock. I haven't aligned it yet but I will check for this when done just to put it out there.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
CaliforniaMilleGhia

Post by CaliforniaMilleGhia »

Does any modern car have an electric powered rack and pinion ?

or just an electric powered steering column ?
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

I like it! Looks very familiar!!!
VW&MGman

Post by VW&MGman »

Does anyone know it there is a kit available to install a rack and pinion on a '69 Beetle? No need for power steering.
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

There is no kit.this is all home made the rack is from a 2000 saab 9-3.I have been running it for over three years and it works good. Here's a picture of mine from a couple years ago.

H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

On the rack in the pic above, could the inner tie rods be attached on the front side like a super beetle?

H2OSB
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

No
VW&MGman

Post by VW&MGman »

Hi Bill,

With the saab R&P, what happens if you don't have a power steering pump installed? Would it be detrimental to the the R&P? How is it being held in place?

It looks very well aligned to the steering column of the VW.
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

I never hooked up a pump so it's been running with a hose from one side to the other. 3yrs no problems. I made an adapter out of one inch square tubing to mount it.when I get a chance I will take a picture of it and post it.
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

Old angle iron prototype on bottom permanent square tubing on top. X2

dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

This is the closest thing I've seen to a kit but it been in development for a long time. I gave up and built my own as well. I used one for a 90's Chevrolet Cavalier (Cardone 22-108). There is a manual version which is hard to find but I needed the power one for my vehicle anyway. Nice to see that other installation examples are working out there.
Videos
Build Thread
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

CaliforniaMilleGhia wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:58 pm Does any modern car have an electric powered rack and pinion ?

or just an electric powered steering column ?
My 2011 f150 has an electric rack, my wife's BMW has an electric rack, and the Prius has an electric motor assisted column. I'm sure there are many others.
Videos
Build Thread
BlueWeasel

Post by BlueWeasel »

I've got a '68 Bay I'm rebuilding from ground up (solid core that rolls but basically nothing else in it).

Plan is:
Subaru Engine and Trans (SubaruGears)
A/C (which I know will require some fabrication/customization of the dash...but)

Power Steering we idly pondered but then realized that while only an inch or so shorter than me, my wife can't really easily reach the pedals, shifter or manage the absurdly large steering wheel that's on the Bus...

So, now we've gone so far as to investigate the entire tilt steering on the column. I mean, if we're already looking at some dash customization then why stop there?