Good video on chassis rigidity

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Jadewombat

Good video on chassis rigidity

Post by Jadewombat »

TZepeSH

Re: Good video on chassis rigidity

Post by TZepeSH »

That's just part of the good info. I started to watch the whole series and there is so much more good info on design! Start with the first video, basics, how to get started with the race car design...
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

This is the big reason I've gone overboard with the cage in my project. I'm honestly not that worried about rolleover & crash protection for autocross. The idea is to have only the suspension react, and minimize flexure in the chassis. Is it worth the effort?..heck if I know ;)
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

ChadH wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:25 am This is the big reason I've gone overboard with the cage in my project. I'm honestly not that worried about rolleover & crash protection for autocross. The idea is to have only the suspension react, and minimize flexure in the chassis. Is it worth the effort?..heck if I know ;)
Yeah, I saw an MGB with a V12 set up for autox last night on the youtubes. He said it was a slow car due to chassis flex. Redid everything to make it stiffer and went with a Ford 2.0 and it's fast as hell now.
Slow 1200

Post by Slow 1200 »

very interesting, thanks, I've never seen any data on a beetle's torsional rigidity, probably average to low compared to actual unit construction cars, it would be cool to rig a measuring system and see how different mods improve it (or don't)
incidentally there is data on Fastbacks and it's pretty great :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Now you can see why I am going the way I am on the truss/Kaffer/traction bar setup I am playing with. The deeper you go into laying with things the more complicated it seems to be to accomplish the job :roll: :lol: .

While it is a "unibody" design the bug's pan and body are bolted together rather than (spot) welded together and it isn't that well "bridged" as I understand it. One of the reasons the front shock towers and the motor/trans mount are recommended to have the seams welded unless it is a resto build. Another of many problems in the mix.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

I can see all three setups in this. It's a Boxster or Cayman IIRC:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.