Rear axle spacers and effect on ride

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Richierich

Rear axle spacers and effect on ride

Post by Richierich »

Hi all

Been messing around with various spacers on my Oval to get the rims (Gasburners) to sit where I want them. Running short axles so need to space some to get the tyres out a bit and also clear the adjustable spring plate steps with the tyre size. Effectively now, I'm running 5+3mm spacers either side (so 8mm total each side) and have noticed at around 55 mph on the freeway, the car has a shimmy/shake - almost like what you would get with wheels being way of of balance. Tyres are new and balanced correctly so what I was wondering if someone can answer is, can too much spacer OR effectively lengthening the axles have this effect? Seeing as it didn't do this before I added the 3mm spacers, I guess I may have the answer already but thought I would ask the opinions of those of you more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks in advance.
eskamobob1

Re: Rear axle spacers and effect on ride

Post by eskamobob1 »

are your spacers proper quality? Spacers can be out of balance as well, and using multiple sets of spacers over a single larger spacer make ti easier to mislign them slightly and have this happen as well.
Richierich

Post by Richierich »

The 5mm ones are good quality - the 3.5mm ones maybe not so much. I think i will be trying some different configurations. Thanks for your response, i appreciate it.
Lanner

Post by Lanner »

Are the wheels mounted lug centric or hub centric. That makes alot of difference. You didnt mention brake setup but if redrilled ghia disk/drum combo and its not 100% concentric to axle center this can be the result.