Softening tires

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
TeamEvil/TC

Softening tires

Post by TeamEvil/TC »

My Hoosiers are getting a little bit hard, probably from limited usage. I didn't autocross at all this past year and the tires are much harder than when they were first mounted on the rims. On one wheel the taire has pulleed away from the edge entirely and aired down.

Is there anything that can be done, some application or solution or trick even, that will help with this?

Thanks!

TC

Re: Softening tires

Post by Guest »

Good question.

Theo

TeamEvil/TC wrote:My Hoosiers are getting a little bit hard, probably from limited usage. I didn't autocross at all this past year and the tires are much harder than when they were first mounted on the rims. On one wheel the taire has pulleed away from the edge entirely and aired down.

Is there anything that can be done, some application or solution or trick even, that will help with this?

Thanks!

TC
Marc

Post by Marc »

http://www.hoosiertire.com/faqdrag.htm# ... g%20season?
http://www.phoenixtire.com/TTips.htm

Seems like it might be worth it to go a step further than merely letting the air out, and have them filled with nitrogen. I never worried about this much for circletrack tires since there's no way they'd ever keep that long and new ones are needed at the start of every season anyway, last year's are only good for motoring around doing engine breakin and such. Most of 'em got turned into tomato planters at the end of the summer.
I do know some guys who've used traction compounds (including one fool who burnt down his house with a motorized spit system he built to keep his tires rotating in a trough full of gasoline) and the effects seem to only last a lap or two - you'd probably peel off all of the softened material on your first burnout at the drags, or before you even got on it hard on a road course.

Post by Guest »

Marc,

Thanks for that link. After reading it I guess that new tires are the only option, especially in that they don't recommend any treatment be applied to their tires at all.

Luck,

TC