LEDload equalizers

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
H2OSB

LEDload equalizers

Post by H2OSB »

I did a search and didn't see this topic, so here goes.

I installed LED driving lights/turn signal indicator bulbs in the front corners of my '73 Super Beetle. They work fine and I'm happy with them except they flash much faster than I prefer.

Today I went to my local auto parts store and bought Sylvania LED load equalizers. In reading through the literature that comes with them, I read they can reach temperatures of up to 285 degrees farenheit. I found a nice location to mount them on the inner fender ahead of and slightly above where the turn signal wiring passes through the inner fender. What I'd like to know is are there any conserns associated with mounting these in the trunk when they generate that much heat?

Thanks in advance.
H2OSB
Kafer_Mike

Re: LEDload equalizers

Post by Kafer_Mike »

In reading up on them, you need to install one at each LED lamp location. Why not just change the flasher relay to one that is 'LED rated'?
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

I didn't know that was an option. Will it still work with the rest of my bulbs (my only LEDs are the dual driving/turn signal bulbs)

Thanks though. I would rather do that if it'll do the trick.

H2OSB
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I would go with an electronic flasher relay over the load resisters.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/fla ... resistors/
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Thanks for the link. Which one works for a '73 Super? Also, as I asked before, will that flasher work with the rest of my incandescent bulbs?

EDIT: Nvm, I answered my own question by looking at the page on my home computer (so I could read the fine print) as opposed to my phone. I ordered the one listed for German/European.

Thanks!

H2OSB
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The only bulbs that will cause problems are your turns. Just go to AutoZone and buy a Novita EP35 turn signal flasher for 12.99. They are built for LEDs and work well.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Thx. I actually ordered a flasher from superbrightleds.com. I returned the load equalizers, but didn't see flashers. Must have been looking in the wrong place. If the one I ordered doesn't work, I'll go buy the one suggested.

H2OSB
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

I use a Tridon EL13 (electronic) flasher with incandescent front lamps and LEDs in rear... It will actually flash LEDS alone if front bulb is "out".... But then its a custom wire job in a dune buggy and I don't know if the particular flasher (standard 3 prong) will work in your application....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Received my flasher relay from Super Bright LEDs today and had it installed in seconds. Problem solved. Thanks, Kafer_Mike and Steve, for the original suggestion!

H2OSB
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Quick follow-up question. So after having installed an electronic flasher, I notice a consistent clicking (same sound the flasher makes when flashing) about every 5 or so seconds, when I'm NOT using either the turn signals or hazard lights. Is this normal? If not, what would cause this?

H2OSB
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Sure doesn't sound normal to me. Sound like the flasher is constantly powered, instead of switched.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Chip Birks wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 pm The only bulbs that will cause problems are your turns. Just go to AutoZone and buy a Novita EP35 turn signal flasher for 12.99. They are built for LEDs and work well.
The flasher I got from SuperBright LEDs was the wrong one, it appears. I did just what was suggested here. Problem solved.

H2OSB
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

What was wrong wih it?
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

It worked fine for turn signal and hazard lights, but would click every 5 or so seconds when neither turns or hazards were being used, and only when the engine was running. I checked everything over and could only conclude there had to be an issue with flasher. I went to AZ and bought the one you suggested and that new flasher solved the problem.

H2OSB
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

I have the opposite situation: I will install a tow hook, because I want a camper trailer. So I will add another blinker light each side. Using the original relay it would blink too slow I guess. So what type of relay shall I change to? I guess that an electronic relay would do the trick and keep the same blinker frequency no matter what load. Is there an OEM relay I can just swap (maybe off some Golf or Jetta)? Maybe I will also swap the blinker bulbs for LED, it shall cover all possibilities.