Photo Gallery - Hall of Fame & Hall of Shame

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Welcome to STF -

Did you pull your own custom loom?
rexr

Post by rexr »

Yeah.. It was all from scratch.. I used one of those pre-made harnesses on my 60 a long time ago and it was horrible so I decided to go custom this time around..

I ordered all of the stuff from Del-City.. That place is like an adult candy store..

I was pretty happy with the way it turned out but I will make a couple of changes this time around..
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Your wiring - Any chance we can have you do a show/tell thread on your loom and install?

There are tons of us here who are doing the same type of work.

Tim
rexr

Post by rexr »

Tim... I would love to.. Unfortunately I did not take any pics of the first go around but I do have everything apart for body repair and some cage mods so when I put everything back together I will document the wiring and post a thread..

By the way.. SHOP TALK FORUMS RULE!!!!! The guys here are helpful and friendly..
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

DesertGuy wrote:Finished wiring up the toggle switches that also will be terminated into a Weatherpack plug. The intent is to have all sub harnesses terminate into Weatherpacks, then once in the car I will only need to connect A and B.

One thing is for sure... I have a new found respect for those that actually know what they are doing concerning this electrical stuff. This is the first thing that I have wired to this extent and it is extremely labor intensive.

For the "Do-It-Yourselfer" I would estimate the time you think it takes to wire a car then triple it, at least. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Also, just out of curiosity... how much would it cost to have a car wired to this level? Just wondering because if it were me... alot of money would be charged to offset the labor involved.

MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Leatherneck wrote:Got some work done.

It has to get worse before it gets better, at least in this case. It is a rail where are all these wires going ? :twisted:

I have figured out I am going to pull all the electrical tape I was using to put wires together before putting in loom and use zip ties, does not collect crud and get sticky.

Also starting on one system at a time, ie: Ignition first, then gauges then lights, etc. Where do you guys start?
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

takotruckin wrote:thanks bob, that means alot coming from a pro like you.

i was thinking, why am i doing this?

oh, thats why....

lookie, spaghetti, minus the meat sauce and Parmesan.

got the firewall all bare, cept for the wiring for the stock turn signal and ign. switches. which will be used.

got the control box mounted, and conduit run from rear to front of car.

will begin running wire next week.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

takotruckin wrote:progress!

got the old dash ripped out, and the new aluminiuminim cover installed. most all the gauges and switches installed as well. all front components, light,fan etc. are wired, as well as gauges and switches.

the dash now looks less like a 70's economy car and more like a race car :D :D

empty hole on the left is for a fuel gauge(will be here this week). the covered hole is for a vdo electronic speedo, i just dont have the $200+ laying around to buy one, so speed will be estimated for now. then i've got water temp, tach, boost/vac, oil pressure, and a voltmeter. the 4 toggles are for lights, the horn button will go to the left of them. the stock wiper switch is hidden over in the top left corner.

i figure i'm moving along at a pretty good clip. next weekend will be busting butt to get everything done and make sure it works before thanksgiving, when i plan on throughly beating the car :D
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Chris V wrote:Some progress pictures of my current baja wiring...I'm using the factory fuse panel and also a sub panel to handle quite a bit of the load...more to come...

(The box in the middle is a distribution center which will eventually feed the sub panel, an audio amplifier, and feed into a portion of the stock fuse panel)
(Headlight relays, accessory relay, warning relay)

Chris V wrote:Image

It has been handy as heck to be able to work the relays and switches through the original stereo hole :!:
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

bt2020 wrote:Working on a 74 Ghia project. I just noticed that I have several fried wires.

I have the 18 fuses 21 circuits easy wiring harness and contemplating on replacing the current harness. Shoud I just replace the fried wires or install the new harness?

Would I be able to incorporate the switches to include the ingniton if I use the easy wiring harness?

Below is a picture of the current fuse box and wires.

Thank you.
GfunkBus76

Post by GfunkBus76 »

Great stuff in here.

I'm going to be working on re-wiring my 1976 Custom Westy. Thinking of swapping old Fuse box to a newer, Mark II Golf/Jetta style.

Since I've got a lot of random accessories now (Heater cores, Fans, Power Windows/Locks, Guages, ECU, Inverter, etc)

I'll post some photos up of what I've got now ;)... definitely in the spaghetti line of examples at the moment. Hoping to get the complete jetta fuse panel plus all dash side wiring from a buddy a VW wreckers. We'll see how it goes!

Had thought of the Painless wiring kits and even just doing it all myself - but haven't got that far yet!
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

I'd vote for doing your own loom.. with a bit of planning it's easy.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

MNAirHead wrote:I'd vote for doing your own loom.. with a bit of planning it's easy.
I agree.

Planning and time, and it will come out right.
fusername

Post by fusername »

There is one part of my car I spent much too much money on but am actually happy about it cause its sweet, excluding the fact I ruined part of it, but If i don't tell you'll never know:

water proof alum enclousure:25bucks
water proof plugs + prongs to use them : over 30 for the set
assorted spade connectors: free from a parts bucket
having one part of my build actually look professional:half an hour of "damn I'm awsome", followed by three years of where's my money gone?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.