VDO Gauge Wiring Link

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
david58

VDO Gauge Wiring Link

Post by david58 »

Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Jeff Herriman

VDO Tachometer w Condensor

Post by Jeff Herriman »

I have a VDO Tachometer that has a condensor attached to the tac body. Where do I hook up the Condensor wire? The car is a Puma with a fiberglass body. The electrics are in disarray. There are VW Brazillia parts installed but not hooked up.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff Herriman
Puma GTC
San Diego,CA
Jeff Herriman

VDO Tachometer/Instruments

Post by Jeff Herriman »

Thank you for the wiring guide. It really helps. Next will look for proper senders.

Jeff
Jeff Herriman
Puma GTC
San Diego,CA
david58

Re: VDO Tachometer w Condensor

Post by david58 »

Jeff Herriman wrote:I have a VDO Tachometer that has a condensor attached to the tac body. Where do I hook up the Condensor wire? The car is a Puma with a fiberglass body. The electrics are in disarray. There are VW Brazillia parts installed but not hooked up.

Thanks for the help!
I haven't seen the condenser on the VDO gauges that you are talking about. Could you post a pic so we can weed this out?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Jeff Herriman

VDO Tachometer

Post by Jeff Herriman »

The tachometer is in the shop now. When I get it back (week +!!) I will forward picture. Its an interesting animal.
Jeff
Jeff Herriman
Puma GTC
San Diego,CA
Jeff Herriman

Puma VDO Tachometer with condensor

Post by Jeff Herriman »

Jeff Herriman
Puma GTC
San Diego,CA
david58

Re: Puma VDO Tachometer with condensor

Post by david58 »

Your links don't work is this the correct pics?
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Capacitor on back of unit really looks like something somebody has added on afterward for what ever reason.....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
madmike

Re: VDO Gauge Wiring Link

Post by madmike »

Link no workie
Marc

Re: VDO Gauge Wiring Link

Post by Marc »

The only logical reason for a condenser (AKA capacitor) that's grounded on one end would be as a "noise" filter.
It's unlikely that the vehicle needs filtering of the supply voltage to the gauge or to the illumination lamp, so someone must have added it at the signal lead to dampen voltage oscillations (perhaps the needle was jumping about too much for their liking). Ironically this places it in parallel with the condenser back on the distributor, increasing the capacitance of the primary circuit.
My conclusion is that if you need it at all, it should be attached to the same terminal as the signal lead coming from Term 1 on the coil.