Dual circuit warning light bypass?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
hemicat

Dual circuit warning light bypass?

Post by hemicat »

Im getting ready to install a new main harness in my 73 standard and am not sure what purpose the dual circuit warning light has, or if it can just be bypassed all together. This thing has been an electrical nightmare since I purchased it. And im tired of constantly having to splice and jump stuff to get it to work for the current trip. Also im going to swap out for an internally regulated alternator. Which hopefully wont be too much of a problem being that I already have an alternator... But it mainly seems that most of my problems started when the light made a pop. So I was wondering if it could be eliminated all together. The diagram that I found on thesamba shows it having 4-5 wires but when I puled it out of the dash found it only has 3 wires. Just not sure if I could just put some wires together, if so which ones, or does it really have a purpose? It is currently living life as a baja so im not afraid to get in there and make some changes if needed. Also there are some things that i will be doing away with some wires that are no longer needed, seat belt warning, heater lever stuff, ect. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Fahrfrumnuvw

Re: Dual circuit warning light bypass?

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

hemicat,

I generally refer to theis web site for my wiring dilemas - http://www.vintagebus.com/

I have also used the Bentley book when I needed to figure out the wiring to my two 3 terminal brake switches on my master in my '69.

Sorry, no detail on a '73 as to how the warning light is wired. The wiring diagram in my Bentley book seems to show 4 wires to the light.

Lots of luck,

Wayne
Last edited by Fahrfrumnuvw on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fahrfrumnuvw

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

hemicat,

I just looked at my Bentley guide and they have a super drawing of how the wiring to the light goes.

The switches are labelled as follows:

Switch 1
Top spade - 81
Middle spade - 82a
Bottom spade - 81a

Swithc 2
Top spade - 81a
Middle spade - 82a
Bottom spade - 81

The wires are joined together by number into 3 wire;
81a to K
82a to b - to brake lights
81 to a

The warning light has 5 terminals

15 to wire a from switches (81)
61 to regulator switch (voltage regulator)
V to ground
31 to V (ground)
K to K off switches (81a).

Greek - YES!

Hope it helps

Wayne
hemicat

Post by hemicat »

I finally got my harness in and all hooked up. Looking at the diagram I just left the red wire form the brake switches unhooked and taped it up and everything works as it should. Thanks for the helpful advise.