Electrical Help 1967 Beetle / Turn Signal and Flasher Relay

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
oldasmyvw

Electrical Help 1967 Beetle / Turn Signal and Flasher Relay

Post by oldasmyvw »

I need some help from the pros out there. I have a 1967 beetle and I am trying to get the turn signals working. The vehicle I bought six months ago does not have the original Turn signal and emergency flasher relay. the wiring diagram from Haynes shows that it is ONE unit with 7 terminals. What I have is TWO after market relay and the numbers on the terminals do not match the Haynes book. I can not figure out where the wires from the turn signal and emergency flashers go. Here is what I DO know. The short black and green wire and the short black and white wire are the RIGHT and LEFT signal wires. The longer black, white and green wire is for turn signal off position. Here is what I am not sure about. Another wire connected to the black, white and green wire ( off position wire) I am not sure where it goes. Also I have two small brown wires that go to the push button switch on the turn signal handle. One of these brown wires has a white stripe, and one does not but has a closed round connector ( assuming this is a ground wire that goes somewhere).
I think these browns wires are for the dimmer. Does anyone know if that push button on the turn signal handle is a dimmer switch? If so I do not know which one, or both go to the dimmer relay.
I am writing this post for 2 reasons:

1- If anyone is good at wiring that can get in contact with me that would be great ( 706-573-3641)
2- If anyone has a working Turn signal and emergency flasher relay that has original terminal letters on it so I know where everything goes
Stray Catalyst

Re: Electrical Help 1967 Beetle / Turn Signal and Flasher Relay

Post by Stray Catalyst »

You need to get a wiring diagram for your car - don't depend on Haynes. The brown wires are generally grounds on any VW electrical system. The seven terminals - are those perhaps on the emergency flasher switch?

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

Speedy Jim is a terrific resource for VW electrical problems. He's also a regular on a number of forums and is quite helpful.

You should consider getting the correct relays and removing the PO's botch repair job. The VW electrical system is simple and (until corrosion and 40 years of wear and tear effect it) reliable. You can get the relays you need for probably about $20-$30, and not have to play electrical detective to figure out what the previous owner was thinking, drinking, or smoking when he wired up your car.

Stray
david58

Post by david58 »

Type 1 Wiring Diagrams - PIX Thread
We have wiring diagrams right here I tell ya.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
oldasmyvw

Post by oldasmyvw »

Thanks. The wiring diagram that I ( Haynes ) have is similar to the ones that you linked me to. So i guess that I just needs to get my hands on an original relay. The colors on the wiring diagrams helped, mine was in black and white. Do you know where I can get a original relay?

The push button on the turn signal I was referring to is on the back side of the turn signal, I believe it is a dimmer switch.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

There must be quite a few places around that may have one

West Coast Metric
California Import Parts
Internet search by part number.....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Some of the older buses have a relay box close to what the 67 seven post box is except with nine posts

I am using a nine post relay box out of a bus. It came in the 67 bug that I got with the baja bug I used for my buggy pan.

The only difference between the bus and bug relay is the bus runs the brake lights thru it also hence the extra two wires. I did not use them for my braking..
I wired my brake system the same way a 67 bug was wired.

I have a schematic that I drew but there are original wiring diagrams that show how they are wired.
From what I have heard... those boxes are hard to come by. I also watch for them in the swap meets but very rarely find them... and if available they are gold.

For Dale M.

Did you not post many moons ago about a relay system that would copy that box???? I swear I have multiple pics of your setup that you discussed in other nameless forums.
I saved it in case the black box ever died...

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

oldasmyvw wrote:Thanks. The wiring diagram that I ( Haynes ) have is similar to the ones that you linked me to. So i guess that I just needs to get my hands on an original relay. The colors on the wiring diagrams helped, mine was in black and white. Do you know where I can get a original relay?

The push button on the turn signal I was referring to is on the back side of the turn signal, I believe it is a dimmer switch.
The push button on the back is the dimmer switch but has nothing to do with the black box,

That is a separate special dimmer relay that is ground and momentary activated where a momentary ground rolls the relay to one of two positions,,, hence the bright/dim function. One more touch and the relay rolls to the other position and stays there unlike a common relay that only switches when power is applied and kept on.

Those are not too difficult to find as I just did that last spring. I love the ability to just touch the switch to change the dimmer. It also cleaned up my wiring a bit.

In the pic you can see the relays used on the right side starting with the original VW headlight relay, horn relay next (not VW) and last and kind of hidden is the 9 post relay box for my turn signals and flashers.

Clonebug
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Clonebug wrote:
For Dale M.

Did you not post many moons ago about a relay system that would copy that box???? I swear I have multiple pics of your setup that you discussed in other nameless forums.
I saved it in case the black box ever died...

Clonebug
Yeppers..... Many pictures and schematic in the "Photo-Gallery" on my web site...

And there is electronic module from Signal Dynamics that is so much cleaner ...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"