Alternator

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
trackersteve

Alternator

Post by trackersteve »

Been having a little fun w/ Frankie for past few months
We just has the alternator rebuilt:

1) After hooking it up my son told me the alternator warning light was on, and the key was not even in.
This has never happened.

2) I hooked a grounded "light" between the alternator "B+" and the starter and the tester's light comes on.
meaning there is a pos and neg between the "B+" and pos side of the starter. That does not seem correct.

Sounds like a short, but where?

Have check the wiring several times, everthing works on the car,.

What is going on???
Marc

Re: Alternator

Post by Marc »

There should be a large-gauge wire going between the alternator B+ and the positive stud on the starter solenoid, or to the battery positive post via a connector under the back seat...depends upon what style of harness the car has, could even have both. What year's the car (or is this a custom harness)?
Point is, the only way you should be able to light a testlamp where you've described is if there's an open in the B+ wiring.
Is there a current drain on the battery? Disconnect a battery cable and put your testlamp between the cable and the battery post, it should not light if everything's off (including domelamp, radio memory, etc.)
trackersteve

Post by trackersteve »

Thanks Marc,
Had Frankie running great, until alternator change out.
Test light "lights up" between the starter and alternator when all is hooked up (short in the alternator)?
When I "unhook the DF wire the tester light goes out".
There is a short someplace, nothing was changed out but the alternator.
Lost :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc

Post by Marc »

trackersteve wrote:...Test light "lights up" between the starter and alternator when all is hooked up (short in the alternator)?
Like I said before, when everythig is hooked up there'll be a current path from B+ on the alternator to the positive post on the solenoid, so a test light across those two points should not light.

trackersteve wrote:...When I unhook the "DF" wire the tester light goes out.
There is a short someplace, nothing was changed out but the alternator.
Lost :(
That does sound like the alternator's gotta go back to the shop. Field winding lead must be shorting out against something inside.
crazy tarzan

Post by crazy tarzan »

I replaced an alt in one of my vehicles with a rebuilt one from a chain store. After a few days the battery kept dying (even with a 1/2 hr commute to and from work at highway speeds). Couldn't find any shorts and it didn't have any issues until I changed the alt (the original died on a 300+ mile trip at night on a weekend. . . ) Finally I pulled the alt out, swapped it for a new one and viola! no more battery drain. There was a short internally in the alt that caused it to pull juice from the battery while the vehicle was off, and if I didn't drive it for more than 12hrs would drain the battery dead.