Need help with wire identification - 1971 ignition switch

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Greg Rickard

Need help with wire identification - 1971 ignition switch

Post by Greg Rickard »

Please refer to the attached photo. The '71 ignition switch has six wire leads, and of them is gray ("P" is embossed on the housing next to the solder).

The other five wires are red/black ("50"), red ("30"), black/yellow ("X"), black ("15"), and brown/blue ("S").

I am unable to tell from the factory wiring diagram what circuit the gray ("P") wire is for. Anyone know from experience?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slow 1200

Re: Need help with wire identification - 1971 ignition switc

Post by Slow 1200 »

I recently messed with a 71-only kind-of-universal switch, I don't remember the terminal designations, but there was for sure one for a US-spec key buzzer (on with ignition off and key in) and one for german-spec side markers for type 3s (on when key is off), 5 minutes with a multimeter and playing with the key positions should show what is what
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

Slow 1200, thanks. The brown/blue wire is for the key buzzer circuit. I suspect that the gray wire is for an accessory circuit of some sort, but I know for sure that it is not part of the ignition / starter circuit.

My plan is to hook up the battery, test the new starter switch that I installed, test all of the light and accessory circuits and determine what the gray wire does (if anything). Part of the mystery of what it is for is that the gray wire was not hooked up when the old ignition switch was in place.
Slow 1200

Post by Slow 1200 »

I checked my car's (71 euro-spec fastback) wiring diagram and the wire that powers the side marker lights is grey and comes from terminal P in the ignition switch, so I guess it would be unused in a KG as they don't have side markers

I guess it would be useful to power something you only want on without the key in the ignition?
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

Slow 1200, thanks. I checked the gray circuit yesterday afternoon and concluded that it is an unused accessory circuit, which your comment confirms. I appreciate the help.