Alternator tightens up

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
jamesed

Alternator tightens up

Post by jamesed »

I bought a Bosch al 82n alternator to replace my old unit that was overcharging the battery. My problem is, when I installed the fan and pulley on the new unit, the shaft tightened up also . I put everything together like it was on the other alternator, and took it apart again and put it together again. Nothing is rubbing or scraping, but the shaft is hard to spin. When I take it apart, the binding goes away. Any ideas about what I can do? Thanks, Jim
Marc

Re: Alternator tightens up

Post by Marc »

Should be a spacer ring on the shaft that the pulley seats against when the nut's tightened. Without it, the pulley rubs against the alternator housing instead. I've seen many new alternators that shipped without the spacer...
jamesed

Post by jamesed »

I tried it again and found that when I tightened the fan nut the shaft tightened up. The pulley clearance was ok. Nothing is rubbing to bind it up. It's really hard to turn . Should I send the alternator back? It's brand new Bosch.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Same situation I cited for the pulley end could also occur at the fan end...
jamesed

Post by jamesed »

I sent the Bosch unit back and replaced it with an Empi brand. I'm up and running again. Thanks, Jim